Thread: Save Scumming

Default Save Scumming

Couple of questions.

Is there anyway to tell if someone is save scumming? i have suspicions that a friend of mine is because i just showed him this game and he is already doing far better than me, haha.

I read in the guidebook that there are penalties for save scumming, how does the game determine that scumming is happening and what are the penalties?

The game is only able to detect if the savegames have been tampered with, but it does not detect savescumming, which is in fact technically impossible to detect reliably. Trusting people not to savescum in their local games is just a matter of honour.

Of course, you can always "test" your friend by challenging him to play on the server. You can't savescum on the server because there is no way to upload a save there (unless you are a server admin).

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    The game is only able to detect if the savegames have been tampered with, but it does not detect savescumming, which is in fact technically impossible to detect reliably. Trusting people not to savescum in their local games is just a matter of honour.

Of course, you can always "test" your friend by challenging him to play on the server. You can't savescum on the server because there is no way to upload a save there (unless you are a server admin).
    What if every time a new character was made a random marker is put in the character file and at the character's death the game would render that marker impossible to load. just a theory, if that doesnt make sense i could elaborate.

Still how does the game determine determine that you have been savescumming, because the guide book says there are penalties for "save game cheating"

The penaltybeing that you don't learn. IE you'll still suck at the game.
    Test your friend on the server, he'll die for sure if he save scummed. If he dies with a dwarve paladin, that'll make it even more obvious.
    OR you can just ask him ^^
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    the guide book says there are penalties for "save game cheating"
    The save game cheating they refer to here is not save-scumming which is simply backing up your save file.

They actually mean save file editing, which if the edits you do don't satisfy ADOM's CRC check, will give you the message "You feel as if you've run out of luck" and really make life borderline impossible for that character.

There are two forms of "save cheats"

1) Save-Scumming. Basically, you make copies of your savefile periodically, and when you die you can start over from your last point. Doesn't directly give an unfair advantage, but you can attempt somethign an infinite amount of times until you get it right.

2) Save-Editing. This involves directly editing the save file to give yourself items, abilities, stats, etc. that you didn't have in the game. This is what ths guidebook is referring to. When ADOM load a savefile, it runs a redundnacy check, and if the save file doesn't pass the check, the character "runs out of luck", which is worse than being cursed and doomed.

I used to save-scum all the time, but I don't any more. I still keep backups in case the game crashes, though those are for... crashes. Unrecoverable saves. Sometimes I'm tempted to use a backup as a savescum, but if I do that I ultimately give up anyway, or if I finish, delete that game from the highscore entry.

Oddly enough, my first win I didn't savescum at all... It's partly what inspired me to stop savescumming.

Quote Originally Posted by RndmNumGenerator View Post
    Save-Scumming (...) Doesn't directly give an unfair advantage
    Huh? Of course it gives unfair advantage, the biggest unfair advantage possible... in practice it makes your character immortal. The only 100% fair way to play is:
    - no cheats
    - no save scumming
    - no bug exploiting (piety overflow etc)
    - no spoilers
    But hardly anyone plays like this...
    Last edited by Mad Minstrel; 12-31-2009 at 09:12 AM.
    Victories with: Dwarf Priest, Gnome Wizard, Gnome Elementalist, Gray Elf Wizard, High Elf Archer, Gnome Priest.

Well, playing with no spoilers would only be possible if the player were able to completely forget anything they learnt during any previous playthrough of the game. Acquiring knowledge about the various obstacles in the game is about the only way to pass them without dying. Reading about spoilers just speeds up the process.

Save-scumming is unfair if you want to post your character to any resource akin to the Hall of Fame for winners, or if you try to pass off your game as a "proper", non-save-scummed victory. If you just play for yourself and can keep yourself from bragging about your non-earned spoils, it's perfectly fine to savescum. But you're missing out - the game becomes much, much more exciting to play if you don't savescum.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

That's what i meant about it not being learnin about the game. the pressure of the grim reaper around your neck (i hate orcs) is the main reason to be careful, in other words to survive
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game