Quote Originally Posted by Snock View Post
It's common knowledge that tragedy befalls the most promising characters. This morning, after ages of playing without a single legit win (including a few deaths on D:50), I come to realize that in ADOM, I am my own worst enemy.

In UD:7, I found a ring shop. He had a ring of ice (sweet, no stacking FR for the tower), and a RoDS! The RoDS was priced about 20k, so i would have to come back later- I didn't want to rob the guy, as my PC was in no shape to battle a shopkeeper and the dooming/cursing would surely kill me before I got to Dwarftown. So I figured I'd head out, stack up some gold and return later. no rush.

Then In Lawen~, I got another stroke of luck, and she shopkeep there was sitting on a pair of 7LB! Oh sweet baby Jesus, can this be true? Priced about 7k, i still didn't have enough, as i had sacrificed a good bit of cash earning favor with the man upstairs. Again, no matter. I headed over to the CoC to hit the Arena for money.

On D:2 there was a C altar, and i got my gear dusted trying to convert it... twice. Where I had previously had 51/23 DV/PV, I had enough spare gear to get back up to 23/7. Still not bad, certainly good enough for the arena. So onward i pressed. In the arena, I fought through a few rounds and was doing well, until I had a momentary lapse of judgment and ate a kobold corpse. I don't know why i did it- I guess I just wasn't paying attention. I wasn't even pressed for food, I had a bag full of lizards. I layed on the '.' key for a while, waiting for my sickness to wear off- but it wouldn't. So I figured as long as I was waiting, I could burn through a few more arena rounds- they're all easy fights, right? Well, they were, until I got sent up against a jackalwere. He summoned jackals who quickly surrounded me, and my already-lowered health started dropping fast. Here I started getting nervous. I didn't have any health potions, I was sick, and my god had forsaken me 3 levels up for fucking with that C altar. I set it to Coward, put on 2 shields and started chugging unidentified potions. Fortunately, i hit a stack of 3 invisibility potions, which i used to take out the surrounding jackals 1 at a time (I've got 8 hp left at this point).

I finished off the jackals with about 6hp, and figured I'm home free. All I have to do now is wait for my sickness to wear off and I'm back in the green, with a big pile of cash to go claim my 7LB. I waited, and waited.... And waited. And the final fit of sickness did exactly 22 damage to me, which happened to be the amount of health I had at the time. Reduced exactly to 0. The luckiest beginning I've ever had in *any* game, and I went and fucked it up, playing stupidly. I could have cried. No more ADOM for me today...

So let's hear it- which stupid death of yours was the hardest for you to take?

"On D:2 there was a C altar, and i got my gear dusted trying to convert it... twice. Where I had previously had 51/23 DV/PV, I had enough spare gear to get back up to 23/7. Still not bad, certainly good enough for the arena. So onward i pressed. "

Before turning the alignment of the alter or of the PC, just take off your gear and dump all of it on the ground. Then equip, at least one thing (as you don't want to face the alternative to cursing or gear turning to dust), something worthless like a rock.