So, I have been playing the original ADOM for a few months now, but I have only become really interested this past week. The second ADOM looks amazing, but does not have as many classes and options as I feel it needs to. I'm sure that is already part of a heated-discussion so I will simply move on to the questions.

1. I have become quite attached to the dwarves recently due to their strength and the mining skill, but I have not actually been able to find a pickaxe, so I cannot actually do the mining. When and where can I get a pickaxe for early game?

2. A few classes are really appealing to me, such as the farmer and the mindcrafter, but I also want to try something different this week. The barbarian caught my eye, but how is it different from the fighter?

3. I have never made it out of the starting valley because I cannot find the things the quests are talking about, I always starve to death before getting to the left edge, and I always get ambushed by wandering wizards near the river and can never escape. Any advice on how to ensure my character doesn't starve do death?