My current bout of bad luck...

Playing an orc barbarian, aiming for fast win. Level 16 or 17, Griffyard, Pyramid, Darkforge cleared. Good stats. I have RoI, PV of 35, weapon is rune-covered trident or brutal eternium halberd. Turncount is about 12000, on pace for <30k win. I have wand of cold and good luck and good Wi score, so I decided to head over to High Kings to get the ring. Second level has a threat room of acid vortices. Yuck. After taking two hits of 60 damage, I realize I have no acid resist, but check inventory and find I have a ring. Great. Blow through the rest of the vortices. About 20 in total, but HP loss isn't bad... I come out about 150 HP down at the end of it. No big deal.

Get down to bottom level and go to charge my wand of cold. It's gone. Dang. Acid vortices must have destroyed it. Probably 1000 turns wasted. Head back out, debating whether it's worth getting the IQD one. Exit the dungeon to head to there and get this message "You need special equipment to scale those mountains." @#$%.

Stopped there and haven't been back. I can salvage the game for sure, but getting a new climbing set is tedious and the speedrun is shot. Will probably just abandon the character--no challenge in winning with a Barbarian at the point in the game I'm at.