I feel like an idiot for asking this, and I'm sure I'd be able to find it if I looked harder, but I can't figure out equipment stats and damage, etc.

E.g: my long sword does like 1d6+2 or something. Is that like 9 damage, or 8 or what? And with my shield and armour, etc. the stats are like (+0 -1) [-4 +7].

The problem here is I just started ADOM and I've died like 30 billion times because I pick up a ton of spells, and swords and spears and stuff and when I want to replace something I'm like, "hmm, is 2d3+2 attack better? Or 3d1+2?" If I have something made of iron and I get crystal or mythril I replace it, but it really makes it hard to tell what I should attack with.

What I would like to know is; what does each number mean?

I can't remember the spell stats off the top of my head but it's something similar, and when I play as a wizard and have 3+ bolt spells that have the same PP and range I can't decide which is best.

Also with talents, people said "go for speed talents," but is +2 speed really as good as Stealthy/Healthy? I'm playing a Drakeling Paladin while I get the hang of the game.

Thanks for helping a noob out