Thread: New-Old Returning Player

Threaded View

Default New-Old Returning Player

I'm loving the new content. The tile-set, the new quests, The buffs to some gear. Only, I've never been able to complete even a regular ending. I've been playing ADOM wrong for years: find a pool, scum for a few wishes, get by.
    I'll admit, I still save-scum for the practice. (just saving after important events, before hard fights, etc.) I've learned how much of a noob I actually am in the last few weeks of playing the game again.
    But welcome to my new start so far:
    UMP9 the gray elven wizard (first wizard btw):
    At level 1 of UD, UMP9 was level 2, or 3 by this point, a beserker lord spawned. Miraculously, I was able to magic missile him to death. He drops a "dirty helmet". +1 UMP9.
    I start taking my wizard very seriously at this point, I got the blanket, went to HMV, everything was smooth. Then I learned about Rolf's quests. I may not "NEED" Rolf's axe, but I WANT Rolf's axe. So, following the ancardia wiki, I breeze through the fragments. To gain levels and experience I did a few Thrundaars quests and dived until I met Khelevestar. I still need an AoLS, even though I'm not going for Ultra, I want what he gives. UMP9 clears the dwarven graveyard with relative ease. I decide to dig a few graves, and found boots of the divine messenger, and a few spell books. +1 UMP9.
    I finally get to Rolf's fortress. OK. Buckle down. This is IT boys.
    I pull up the wiki, to make sure I'm prepared. I scroll all the way down the page, "if PC's have killed ANY dwarf other than dwarven chaos knights, the PC can not even go down the stairs".
    Fucking fantastic. I remember, in UD 2, a random ass dwarf was attacking me. I remember thinking, "What the hell? I've never seen a random hostile dwarf, or at least, I never noticed them. anyway, +1 game.
    I get mad, and decide to take my anger out on the frost queen quests. I get to frost giant jarl caves, thinking, "Yay lets find another artifact"
    Yay I found Venom Mantle off of one of my first kills in the greater vault. Saweeet. Then I notice the Emperor Lich. Let's back the hell away for now, the kings were hard enough and I was lucky I didn't suffer as much stat drain as I expected. I find a ring of ice as well, and by the end of the frost queen quests, somehow I went from N+ to L+. I happened to have about 90k gold on me, and think, "Screw it lets get crowned real quick".
    5 minutes later, UMP9 is immune to fire and has a shiney Ring of the Archmages. +3 UMP9
    I figure, this is as good of a time as any to dive into the ToEF, so I casually walk through the entire tower, making the Wyrm my little play thing with the Ice Ball spell.
    So here's my predicament, the door in which I'm not sure I should open:
    Ump9 travels back into Rolf's fortress, I figure I should clear some of this stuff and get the artifact unpickaxe for shits and giggles. I kill a handful of stone statues and golems alike. Now I'm a fallen champion. Now here's the thing, my god bolted and summoned. I was immune to the bolt. Does this mean I'm free? Can I now just roll C- and get another artifact?
    SHOULD I keep wearing/finding more artifacts? almost every equipped slot is an artifact item at this point.
    What should my next move be?

TLDR: Returning Player: Gray Elven Wizard finds himself somewhere in between a rock and a hard place, with a shortage of game knowledge and strats, his next move is a mystery.Screenshot 2018-05-25 10.55.19.png Screenshot 2018-05-25 11.09.57.png
    Last edited by Hydelionaxis; 05-25-2018 at 04:11 PM.