Yesterday I lost another character (promising level 40 wizard with all ball spells, archery, find weakness, and true aim, who only got hit once clearing the earth temple and had just reached the mana temple) to....accidentally casting a magic missile down instead of over. Zapped himself to death.

I *like* that ADOM has permadeath. It makes decisions feel more important, and makes successes feel like greater achievement. I don't at all mind deaths from game events. Vortex taking out a promising early character; surprise enemy in a mixed tension room or vault; being wrong about whether a character is ready to take on steel golems; having a character slaughtered by the fire or mana orb guardian; trying something risky or making a poor decision and quickly dying because of it. All totally fine. But to me, it feels very different when a death is caused by an interface error. I'm primarily making this post because I'm curious whether other players also feel that distinction, or if to others, typos feel similar to in-game mistakes.

In my perfect world, I'd play a version of ADOM that had the option of (a) going back a single keystroke (maybe a capped number of times per game) and (b) logging that it had done so. So with this character, if he didn't die from something else, I could post as a victory-with-recovery-from-one-typo, with a little note about what had happened.

I think I do take longer to play than others (my one victory had 29 hours of playtime, I think). As I'm sure is the case for many others, I have limited hours to play--with work and family responsibilities. That makes it feel.....lame....to have lost that promising character to a typo, not to an in-game event.

I know that there's the option to play with permadeath off overall. I guess maybe my best option would be to play in that, but any time a character dies for in-game reasons, quit/delete/eliminate that character, so that it's only for typo-recovery purposes. It just feels a little lame to have all of my characters "not in real ADOM" for the one-in-thirty characters (or whatever it actually is) who encounters a lethal typo.

So, I'm just curious how other players feel about this!