I'd like to see gemology upgraded a bit to be more useful in JADE.

Here's my idea which is partly based on the assumption that one of the things gems were supposed to do in ADOM was have a way of carrying around wealth without the weight of gold.

First, when you mine instead of just finding gems it would be cooler if you found uncut gems or say a diamond lode. (Kind of like when you mine for metals you find ore). Then you have to [a]pply your gemology skill while wielding a gem cutting tool to cut them into a diamond or sapphire or what have you. These gems would then be worth a lot of gold so you could carry around some good wealth with little weight. You could even implement it so that the uncut gems you find have a quality factor that affects how successful you will be at cutting the gem and help determine the actual value. So a quality 10 uncut diamond will be harder to cut but worth a lot more if successful.

These gems could then be given a worth of maybe 10k-1m depending on stone and quality.

If you don't have the gemology skill maybe you could have certain NPC's or a specialty shop in a town where they will cut gems for you for a fee.