Another thread mentioned this interview: http://rpgvaultarchive.ign.com/featu...ews/adom.shtml

You've stated that after the release of version 1.0 (whenever that finally occurs), you will release the source code for ADOM to the public. What sort of effect do you think that will have on the game, and what offshoots of ADOM do you expect to see?

Well, the source code license I have in mind for ADOM currently forbids the distribution of any kind of variant for ADOM. I don't want to see variants because:

a) I most likely will get endless bug reports for variants for which I do not care,

b) I hate the thought of seeing my vision of the game world being diluted by folks who go for "neat" special effects ("Hey, let's have light sabers, chain saws and space orks!").

Since some impolite folks stated that they would disregard the license, I'm these days pondering whether I really will release the sources.

The positive side effects of releasing the sources definitely would be faster bug fixes, help with all the tedious stuff, etc. I'm just not sure whether this would be worth the trouble.

Man, he just doesn't get it.

"I want to release the code, but I want to maintain full control. I don't want anyone adding anything new, just do all the tedious stuff that I don't want to do. I'll keep all the fun stuff for myself and someone else can write test cases for bugs."

If you can't release a variant, then the only thing you could do is fix bugs. Sure, there would be a couple that people might fix as a scratch-the-itch, but no one is really going to go in and do any kind of significant work on the code. I can't imagine a more pointless way to release software - "here's the code, but you can't use it because any significant change would be a variant."

Modifying large pieces of software involves a great deal of time and effort just to get to know the code and understand it. No one is going to put in that kind of effort if their hands are tied by some silly "I will approve everything" change. TB could do a license that guarantees that it'll always be open source (GPL), or a license that forbids commercial release, but to forbid significant modification is ridiculous.

"these days pondering whether I really will release the sources". Gaaaaah...that interview was in 1998. Pondering for 10 years. It's not being released folks. And it's not being maintained. Move on and let it die.

This reminds me of someone who builds a spectacularly beautiful building, but then lets it crumble and refuses to let anyone else mow the lawn, fix the peeling paint, or repair the broken windows.