Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday 13th Challenge - August 2010

Might as well try, but I have rarely played thieves. Any advice about them?

Use detect traps on every closed door, at least early on. This is a hobbit, so get some rocks, they do much better damage than a short sword.

You can trust my advice, just look how far I got in the game.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

My advice:

Use true berserk until you can find a source of rocks (goblin rockthrower is good enough... just run around for awhile). Try not to get hurt too much, since you don't have healing.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Additional rules: no piety overflow abuse, no dragon gold doubling,
    You didn't exclude the turn count decrement bug. Very nice, I'm going for a <30k win then

and you mustn't try and start a wish engine
    "try" means "fail", so the rule reads "mustn't fail [to start] and start a wish engine". So obviously you can either succeed in starting a wish engine or try and fail to do so (as long as you don't do both). Nice.

If I have missed any other game-breaking bugs or exploits, please remind me.
    "Please" is not binding, therefore consider yourself not reminded.

The time limit for starting is the 13th of September, and the time limit for finishing up is the 13th of October; the competition may be closed early if there is too little interest, but I'll probably leave it up and running.
    Thats very generous for people who like to start the game at 00:00 UTC+14 and end it at 24:00 UTC-12. You don't even have to be there since you didn't even say "local time".
    (Ok, this is a bit picky, since you announced the contest after 13th of september started. Lets see:
    UTC+2=13:45; UTC+14=x
    UTC+14=25:45; UTC+14=x
    x=25:45. So it's actually a 50-25:45=24:15 contest. Still, thats 15 minutes more than you probably intended )

Oh and you also forgot to say that rule additions are binding, so I can legally play under the original rules, which are still the "Rules" for the "Friday 13th Challenge - August 2010".

(Sadly I don't have time right now, but I do like the ruleset )

PS: Don't take this personally; I just felt I needed to live up to my reputation of liking to stretch rules
    PPS: Although all in all the ruleset is pretty robust.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    My advice:

Use true berserk until you can find a source of rocks (goblin rockthrower is good enough... just run around for awhile). Try not to get hurt too much, since you don't have healing.
    Yes.
    Haha, I have found an altar on VD: 5.

Well, since you nitpicked, I'm going to nitpick right back at ya. "Try" doesn't mean fail, it means "may be a success or failure, the consequence is unknown at the time you attempt the action". But hey, it's nice to see you have your humor with you!

Quote Originally Posted by zsomkovacs View Post
    Advanced to Level 5, scored 1667 points. Forgot to write down Xp. Use the lowest value of Level 5.
    Don't you have the .flg? You can get the data out of there.

Do we only get one try?

741 xps. Killed by a goblin slavemaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
    Do we only get one try?

741 xps. Killed by a goblin slavemaster.
    Yes, only one try. Thought that'd be obvious since we've hosted quite a few challenge games already but I'll add it to the rules before Epythic notices... *puts on cloak of invisibility and wields keyboard*

Must we also add no save scumming, no third-party programs, no cheating/hacking/things which are looked down upon by the majority of the community?
    A question. What is the message you receive when the curse is lifted? I am at spiritually invincible, but have not gotten a special message. Is there one?

Quote Originally Posted by breeolson View Post
    Must we also add no save scumming, no third-party programs, no cheating/hacking/things which are looked down upon by the majority of the community?
    A question. What is the message you receive when the curse is lifted? I am at spiritually invincible, but have not gotten a special message. Is there one?
    It should be obvious that cheating (which includes save scumming) is disallowed. I'll add that to the rules too if it looks better that way.

You have to be very close, and I think it is "you feel relieved".