Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: iADOM Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by The Metro Gnome View Post
    Personally, I'd like to keep ADOM free. That's what makes it such a great game for me. It's simplicity added with it overly complicated junk make it a really worthwhile game. Sure, most people who already KNOW about ADOM would buy the paid version for whatever, but all those others who don't know about it will probably just ignore it (Like I do with apps for the Ipod that look weird or boring but aren't)

Over all, I saw "Keep ADOM Free!" or KAF for short.
    Adom as it is will stay free. This has been stated several times. You would only need to pay for "deluxe"-properties (whatever they may be) that would/will never be implemented without a price tag.

Oh, I hope "Deluxe" does not mean "Bug Fixed and Constant Updates" (What would be really cool is to choose your birth month)
    When in darkness, you can always see the light (unless you're in ADOM)

Most successful combos for me: Grey elf wizards, trollish healers, dark elf beast-fighters, Gnomey monks, and any race barbarians.

Bugs will be fixed for all ADOM versions since they share the same code base and only differ in platform specific parts.

The new "multitasking" feature of iPhone OS 4 increases the chance for an iPhone release.
    “It's a cruel and random world, but the ChAoS is all so beautiful.” ― Hiromu Arakawa

So this is why TB never released the source code. He was just waiting for some platform to appear which could in theory sell couple of ADOM deluxe or whatever. F U man.

Delightful contribution.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Exciting news. But I hope it doesn't mean that new ADoM will be iPad only? I'm no fan of those "awesome" portable technologies, for gaming I use my PC and only that. My cellphone is 6 years old and not getting a new one unless this one is beyond repair. I'd have no problem with paying a reasonable price for ADoM deluxe, although I'm more of a Crawl player these days, I'm sure I'd play any new ADoM release. On PC. But if it's iPad only, well... it's new tech, but I'm sure there will be workarounds for that soon enough...

The iPad, as far as I understand it, provides a means to process microtransactions easily through Apple-applications-related shenanigans or somesuch. Hence the suggestion for Steam as a PC equivalent with similar possibilities. As an alternative you could look into Stardock's Impulse, but Steam is definitely more popular.

Good things about the recent development:

- ADOM produced in a portable version at all
    - Thomas getting back into ADOM development, which might spur him on regarding JADE down the road even
    - Thomas making a bit of much-earned money as compensation
    - ADOM receiving bugfixes in preparation for the release which are easy to implement in the free (as in: You don't have to pay any money) PC version. Something which the community has been dying to get since friggin' 2002.

Bad things about the recent development:

- You won't get the source code, like, ever.

So what, I say. There are tons of other open source roguelikes to look into. ADOM is not good because of its source code, it's good because a guy with a clue made it, and if the guy with the clue returns to making it glorious things will happen.

Won't buy an iPad for ADOM either, but I imagine close to anyone who enjoys playing ADOM and owns an iPad will get it, and possibly get whatever they can for it. God knows people who own iPads shouldn't have problems with the concept of paying with money for things. (50% more expensive than a Playstation 3? Seriously?)
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Metro Gnome View Post
    Oh, I hope "Deluxe" does not mean "Bug Fixed and Constant Updates" (What would be really cool is to choose your birth month)
    Just like you how can choose your birth month in real life?

There's already some code floating around to let you do this, actually. Or you can play on the server, once it's back up, which has this feature enabled by default.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

He was giving us hope to get the source code, but now it's lost. It's almost like Alan Wake. All that waiting and now it's available only for X360. Is money really that important?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus
    So this is why TB never released the source code. He was just waiting for some platform to appear which could in theory sell couple of ADOM deluxe or whatever. F U man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus
    He was giving us hope to get the source code, but now it's lost. It's almost like Alan Wake. All that waiting and now it's available only for X360. Is money really that important?
    Actually I believe that there is one more reason why TB never released source code of ADOM. That reason is socially retarded(look at readme file) people like you. He spend hunderds/thousands hours on programming ADOM, and he's letting people play his game completly for free. And instead of appreciate his work and fact that he's letting you play his game for free, you're telling him "fuck you" just because he doesn't want to release source code of HIS game?

He didn't promised over a year ago that sources will be released - he was just thinking about it. Obviously he decided that they won't be released, it's his right. Instead of whining and cursing, why don't you write your own game like Adom?