Thread: Yulgash, Dead On Scene

Default Yulgash, Dead On Scene

I had a very strange experience with my latest victory. I got to the air temple, cleared every monster on the outside as I do habitually, and when I opened the secret door to Yulgash's little room, there was an Orb of Elemental Air on the ground, so...

IT LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE A LOCKED ROOM MYSTERY!

I deduce that something happened - a few sprung traps, perhaps - that damaged an elemental or grue enough that they panicked and berserked their boss into oblivion. I already knew he was a pushover, but... wow.

I thought it was hilarious until I remembered that he's worth hundreds of thousands of experience points.

Anyone else have something like this happen?
    Normal Victories- Human Weaponsmith, Necromancer, Barbarian, Assassin
    Creator's Day Win - Gnome Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by Roarke View Post
    I deduce that something happened - a few sprung traps, perhaps - that damaged an elemental or grue enough that they panicked and berserked their boss into oblivion. I already knew he was a pushover, but... wow.
    Was the orb there all by itself, or were there monsters in the room? In the latter case, maybe he stepped on an alarm trap (if they can even be generated inside) having summoned before, and well... getting surrounded by eight high-DL monsters must be tough...

On a small sidenote, the Air Temple and ToEF are the two places I try to finish as quickly as possible. As far as item destruction is concerned, the temple is worse than the tower, since there are no lightningproof blankets and thus you have to do with a more limited inventory.

I thought it was hilarious until I remembered that he's worth hundreds of thousands of experience points.
    I'd be annoyed at missing the chance to get him on my kill list, too. Also, I always try to collect the whole blessed cooked set of orb guardian corpses, even though I don't trade them for PoCCs
    "And light there be!"

That's pretty funny and bizarre! I've never had a temple monster activate a trap before, so I would be pretty surprised if that was the cause of his death (but I'm pretty surprised, anyhow). Usually they just walk on the trap, but everything's as if it had walked onto a normal square.

Unless I'm mistaken, items can be generated on the left side of the air temple level. If one of those items happened to be generated inside Yulgash's room, and it was a nasty potion, like cure corruption or sickness, that could have been the cause of his death. Monsters have the ability to drink potions that they pick up.
    ----------
    You spend some time with Skriek, the cloaked ratling, who seems to enjoy your company. The sky is now very clear. The sun burns down on you.
    You talk to Skriek, the cloaked ratling.
    "Yer alternatives are locked, wisehead!" Skriek, the cloaked ratling, misses you. Skriek, the cloaked ratling, misses you. Skriek, the cloaked ratling punches through your armor and hits you.

@anon - There was the usual complement of elementals and grues in the room; that's why I suspect that one of them killed him.

@9876098 - Temple monsters can set off traps if they are fleeing from you, so there's the possibility that a bunch of chaos servants/air demons tripped a fire trap (which would pass through the secret door), damaging the boss and his grues enough that one of them panicked and attacked him.
    Normal Victories- Human Weaponsmith, Necromancer, Barbarian, Assassin
    Creator's Day Win - Gnome Fighter

Were there other monsters in the room, or was it empty? Be really weird to come across the room, empty except for the orb.

Another possibility: once things get hostile in the room, Yulgash is going to start summoning. Imagine he summons a batch of Acid Vortices in that confined space.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNiceguy View Post
    Were there other monsters in the room, or was it empty?
    I asked the same above

Another possibility: once things get hostile in the room, Yulgash is going to start summoning. Imagine he summons a batch of Acid Vortices in that confined space.
    You don't need to be Yulgash to do that. Playing at 3am + spellbook of Summon Monsters = sadness.
    "And light there be!"

Were the elementals and grues standing in their normal positions when you opened the room?
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 06-28-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.