Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what's the best way to get a wish again?

Default So what's the best way to get a wish again?

Okay, I have this orcish priest from the "How will the RNG kill..." thread. It has killed off all the steel golems, so gut's vision has failed, but there is another problem. I have decided that no matter what, I'll try to make this one an ultra. (You know, to complete the three ultras collection and get a spellcaster win for once, too...) However, I can't find a wish for the life of me. I have already done the following:

• Travelled through I:25 and I:26 for ages.
    • Emptied all pools, getting me perma-invisibility and a number of handful effects but no wish.
    • Dug up all graves (not just the great treasures ones, but those too). Also tried milking the emperor lich from one of the graves for summons. Still none.
    • Tried killing stuff in cavernous TotHK.
    • And pickpocketing everything I killed in the above categories.

No wish. So, what's the fastest way to come across one? I have heard that looking for a wish is faster than trying to get an AoLS, is that true? And if I just want to look for the AoLS, where is the best place?

What about dipping stacks of 19 rings into potions of exchange on D:9, then once you get 19 ordinary rings dip them into a potion of holy water and done you are.

EDIT: Of course you'll likely need *some* potions of exchange, but it's worth a try, right?
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

I have already tried it. I only used 2 since I wouldn't really enjoy completing a game with 19 free wishes. I got two rings of ice instead. And I walked into the only potion shop I found with unholy aura, so that little screwup ruins my plans of getting a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Okay, I have this orcish priest from the "How will the RNG kill..." thread. It has killed off all the steel golems, so gut's vision has failed, but there is another problem. I have decided that no matter what, I'll try to make this one an ultra. (You know, to complete the three ultras collection and get a spellcaster win for once, too...) However, I can't find a wish for the life of me. I have already done the following:

• Travelled through I:25 and I:26 for ages.
    • Emptied all pools, getting me perma-invisibility and a number of handful effects but no wish.
    • Dug up all graves (not just the great treasures ones, but those too). Also tried milking the emperor lich from one of the graves for summons. Still none.
    • Tried killing stuff in cavernous TotHK.
    • And pickpocketing everything I killed in the above categories.

No wish. So, what's the fastest way to come across one? I have heard that looking for a wish is faster than trying to get an AoLS, is that true? And if I just want to look for the AoLS, where is the best place?
    Pools are normally the best way. On average, you get about 0.5 wishes per game through pools, in my estimation, as long as you remember to remove dooming appropriately.

Water dragon cave has good items. Sometimes you can find a WoW or RoDS there.

If you're really desperate, you can set up a gremlin bomb in a high enough DL area. It's really boring, but it works give enough time.

Dipping rings is reasonably effective. On D:8, you have about 5% chance of dipping to RoDS. Even with only a few PoEX, the odds of getting a wish aren't terrible. If you happen to have a potion shop available, this make life a lot easier since PoEX are fairly rare.

If you can kick-rob Dwarftown or a DL >8 merchant's shop, you could just keep clearing it until an RoDS shows up. Works best with ring shops, of course. In principle, you can do the same with a lower DL shop (eg. bandit town) in hopes of getting an AoLS. Might require a LOT of restocks either way.

AoLS are DL 2, so they can spawn just about anywhere. They're super rare though. Wish producing items are more common, which is generally why people go after these instead.

Honestly though, at this point, I'd suggest either forgetting the ultra or restarting. Both are probably faster than the methods you have remaining...
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Well, I did say I want this character to be an ultra. Also, why restart? That won't improve my chances of getting the items. Oh well, I'll probably try a gremlin bomb for the 2nd time in my ADOM career...

I faced this problem quite a few times... And the worst thing about this is that I *always* got a wish after letting Khelly to die...
    Maybe the gremlin bomb is the best you can do. If you don't get a RoDS, you'll still receive lots of booze, which you can give to Ygazz in hope of PoEX. And then, dip those rings into them.
    Good luck!
    "The avatar I was... now the fool I am. Heed the warning."

Before bombing da gremlins, I'd definitely check out the water dragon first. You might want to try the ToEF, too - who knows what you will find in the dragon treasures.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    Well, I did say I want this character to be an ultra. Also, why restart? That won't improve my chances of getting the items. Oh well, I'll probably try a gremlin bomb for the 2nd time in my ADOM career...
    Restarting gives you another shot at the pools, which are by far the highest probability chance of getting a wish.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

But then I likely won't get a spellcaster with enough Lordly Might and Ethereal Bridge until the end of the game (almost... 800+ castings each and spellbooks in inventory), blessed 7LBs, all-around nice equipment and stats, permanent intrinsic invisibility, -Petr, -Para, most of the other ultra ingredients, a lot of spells trained up, and the certainty of having a good character on the roll already... no, I think that getting another chance at a pool wish isn't worth it for me.

Water dragon cave checked out, no dice. I decided to hold off on the ToEF because for some reason the ACW's energy rays hurt at like 120 damage per shot, so I wanted a more reliable way to kill him (and a few more PoEH).

You could check out the first levels of the tower without facing the Wyrm right away? Plenty of dragons there. Just an idea. Maybe you're better off just doing a gremlin bomb, I don't know.

Fasizi told me earlier to build a gremlin bomb with a light trap and a water trap. Never tried that, but it sounds fun.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.