Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YAPT: Naked Fist the no items monk

Default YAPT: Naked Fist the no items monk

Challenge idea is simple - never use items. Don't pick em up, don't wear them, don't use them, etc.

There are two caveats - I can eat food off the ground, and I can carry the orbs and put them in the anomalies (obviously I won't equip the orbs or make use of their special functions).

Trying with a dwarven monk, for the bare-handed fighting, easy food requirements, PV talents, and kicking through walls. On my second attempt now (first died after some bone-headed adventures with a pool). Level 12, crowned with acid immunity (god also gave sapphire ring, grr...) and gone down the CoC to the Animated Forest. Not sure where to go next to be honest... Monsters are starting to get tough. I'm Raven born, with Athletics high, which has been great for early game but I see now that its hit my xp fairly hard. One advantage I have is acid spit from corruptions (and twelve eyes too).

Some special considerations:
    - Doing the Tower with only fire res, Immune to Pain and prayers. Oh, and no equipment, which means serious trouble against elementals and grues. ACW may not be so hard with high Alertness.
    - No corruption removal other than unicorn quest.
    - Bypassing Eternal Guardian whilst he's hostile and without teleport. I have no idea how this is even possible at present, except attempting to kill him on the spot.
    - Either killing or running around the cat lord without see invis (I've killed plenty of cats already).
    - Killing the Archmage without death ray resistance.
    - No paralysis resistance all game (hurrah for mimics!)

For resistances I can try to abuse pools, but that's not without risk of losing key statuses. Lack of food preservation rather hurts my character - I've killed a slew of spiders and not gotten poison res yet.

Here's how he looks at present:

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

############
                                                       #...........#
                                                       #...........#
                                                       #...........#
               #################                       #...........#
               #.....#.........#                       #...........#
               #.....#.#.......#                       #...........#
               #.....#.#.......#                       #...........+
     ###########.....#.#.......###################################.###
     #......./.#......./..(..../.....................................#
     #..(....#.#########.......#####################################.#############
     #.......#........./......./...................................../...........#
     #....@..#########################################################../..>.....#
     #.......#                                                       #...........#
     #########                                                       #############

Naked Fist    St:22  Le:11  Wi:16  Dx:12  To:23  Ch: 7  Ap: 4  Ma:11  Pe:23 N-
    DV/PV: 39/8    H: 92(151)     P: 42(42)      Exp: 12/70551      D: 13 Sp: 121
    Blessed Coward

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Background Information

Name: Naked Fist          Race: male Dwarf          Class: Monk
    Eye color: black          Hair color: brown         Complexion: brown
    Height: 4'                Weight: 187 pounds
    Star sign: Raven          Birthday: 30/Raven (day 30 of the year)

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Unarmed fighting         7    +4    +3   +2   skilled              171

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    --------------------------------------
    Right hand: +15 bonus to hit, 1d20+7 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    ----------------------------------------
    No missile weapons available.

Skills

Alertness ............ 63    (good)         [+3d4]
      Athletics ............ 92    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Climbing ............. 32    (fair)         [+3d4]
      Concentration ........ 33    (fair)         [+4d5]
      Detect traps ......... 21    (mediocre)     [+4d4]
      Dodge ................ 62    (good)         [+2d4]
      Find weakness ........ 64    (good)         [+1d5]
      First aid ............ 68    (good)         [+3d4]
      Haggling ............. 28    (mediocre)     [+3d4]
      Healing ..............100    (superb)       [+3d3]
      Listening ............ 65    (good)         [+3d4]
      Literacy ............. 44    (fair)         [+3d5]
      Metallurgy ........... 34    (fair)         [+3d3]
      Mining ............... 68    (good)         [+1]
      Smithing ............. 49    (fair)         [+2d4]
      Stealth .............. 65    (good)         [+2d4]

Effects of Corruption

You have grown a total of 12 eyes (Ap: -6, Pe: +6).
    You exhale sulphur (Ch: -4).

Inventory
    Total weight: 0 stones                Carrying capacity: 2700 stones

Head          : -
    Neck          : -
    Body          : -
    Girdle        : -
    Cloak         : -
    Right Hand    : -
    Left Hand     : -
    Right Ring    : -
    Left Ring     : -
    Bracers       : -
    Gauntlets     : -
    Boots         : -
    Missile weapon: -
    Missiles      : -
    Tool          : -

Stuff

Total weight: 0 stones   Carrying capacity: 2700 stones

(nothing)

Killed Monsters

764 monsters perished under his attacks.

Achievements

He survived for 0 years, 12 days, 20 hours, 12 minutes and 24 seconds (20944
    turns).
    Naked Fist visited 29 places.
    His strength score was modified by +2 during his career.
    His dexterity score was modified by +1 during his career.
    His toughness score was modified by +3 during his career.
    His charisma score was modified by +2 during his career.
    His mana score was modified by +1 during his career.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

I was trying something similar on server earlier this week using a drakeling monk (I died trying to kill a shopkeeper). Here's what I can suggest:

If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest doing some St training at ogre cave. Dwarven graveyard should be doable for XP at this point using spit, if you're careful. You might need to restock on food at ID or wilderness. Beyond opening portal, there is the chance of getting some tasty corpses here. Did you self corrupt? If you're desperate for XP, you might be able to spit down greater claw bugs. Leggot in HMV can be killed with spit as well for some quick XP as long as you're fast enough to outrun him, or nearly so. Set the ratling guardians as blockers and trap him on one side of the river.

What intrinsics do you have? Finding yourself a pixie corpse would probably be very beneficial. I don't think there's going to be any way around using pools though, TBH. I think you are really going to need intrinsic invisibility.

As far as ToEF goes, I had two ideas for getting through... One was to train up Hawkslayer to the point of being able to kill strongish monsters. I've had good luck matching pets against the ACW before. I dunno how long this will take to train him though. If you're feeling scummy, you can also use circle-kick bug to clear out anything... The other option is to find yourself a wish from a pool and get ventriloquism. I think this is how Sami beat the ACW in his itemless game (or he might have rolled a gnome monk). Dunno if this will work on the EG as well. I'm just not terribly convinced that you'll be able to melee the ACW with <10 PV otherwise.

I've been trying to think about ways to train stats. If you don't care about days, St can be trained up once you're above level 25 with ogre armies, and hill giants before then. To can be trained with hill orc parties. Le could be trained in ID, I guess, but that's a lot of stairhopping for little gain. If you don't care about Wi, you can train Dx, I suppose, but I don't think that's a good tradeoff.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 01-16-2011 at 04:27 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I'd suggest never pick up items (orbs) exept downstairing and wilderness for FO. Just kicking them from stair to stair =)

JellySlayer: I can't rely on spit too much because I can't carry food. I can always pray for satiation of course, but I don't want to have to spend too long at altars. As a dwarf I can't eat orcs with ease, which alas cuts off a nice source of toughness training. In general wilderness is a bad place to be without getting at least Satiated beforehand. Hmm, gnome for ventriloquism would have been a good idea - would help with a huge number of things. Will consider that if this guy kicks the bucket. Will probably use undead to get To up to 30 (though will need some altar trips to keep N= now I'm crowned). With PV talents that'll bring me up to around 20 PV. Not fantastic, but it might be okay.

Intrinsic wise all I've got are acid res and acid immune! Will have to hope for more corpses later on.

Ah fuck, D49! I think I'll have to cheat for that

littlebrather: This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium. It's also fairly fun just ignoring items completely.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Ah fuck, D49! I think I'll have to cheat for that
    I'm about 90% sure that it's possible to kick your way to the stairs with a monk without throwing anything. Just kick until the square you want to go to breaks, then kick the wall in the opposite direction. You'll have to keep changing the direction you move in, but if you plan it out in advance, it should be doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Setremedes View Post
    I munched three kobold shaman corpses in a row assuming some [curaria] would show up, but I got six (!) roses off of doomed herbs with no curaria in sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    i, um, see a curia in your pack

This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.
    Sometimes I think U guys do exactly exercise in tedium =)
    folks under my window compete in spit for a distance =)

Anyone been thinking about the banshee? Without potions or wax...

Spit from a distance might work. Or try and get lucky and one-hit her.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Setremedes View Post
    I'm about 90% sure that it's possible to kick your way to the stairs with a monk without throwing anything. Just kick until the square you want to go to breaks, then kick the wall in the opposite direction. You'll have to keep changing the direction you move in, but if you plan it out in advance, it should be doable.
    I'm 100% Sure it works. Furious_Styles used a similar method for his naked wizzie.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Since I'm trying this in parellel with you, I thought maybe I'd post my current progress as well...

I'm currently level 16 Candel-born drakeling monk, crowned with =Acid (and RoR...). I decided to take Tough and Strong Will as starting talents, then followed PV line. I've cleared the starting areas, and have descended CoC as far as Khelly--took the DH route, which turned out to be quite fortunately easy. Until recently my stats were pretty good--I topped out at about 30 St, 24 To, 22 Wi with 8 PV total. I've finished all of the DT quests (I had originally wanted to use the daemon to kill the Dwarf priest to make the altar easier to live-sac, but didn't want to risk stat drains to do it).

I ventured into Darkforge afterwards, found an altar on the top level. I found that with 100 FW, my 30 St and 180ish HP, I was able to drop a steel golem using hack-and-back and a bit of luck. Proceeded on to clear out all the golems leading to the pool room, but it took awhile and I've picked up two corruptions. First was cranium, which is nasty for this PC. Cost me more than half my PV. Second was acid spit. I ran the pool lottery and got pretty lucky. Added death resist, invisibility, see invis, and wished for ventriloquism, at the cost of shock resist, paralysis resist, and 40 years of aging, dropping my To down to 18 and my PV down to 1 On the plus side, my Le is up to 25ish, so I'll be able to train up ventriloquism pretty fast maybe. I guess I'll probably spit my way through Griffyard and hope to get a few undead corpses, although the wights don't seem to drop much unless they're killed in melee. After that... don't know. I guess I'll see if I can get the Water Orb maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbic
    Anyone been thinking about the banshee? Without potions or wax...
    Wail only has a range of 3, and spit has a range of 5, I think. With level 18 class power, the monk should be faster than her, as long as a wererat doesn't spawn behind you to block your retreat. Or, if you've got teleportitis, you can just lure her away and teleport to the stairs. Stunning rune door traps will sometimes give deafness as well (although you might need to curse/doom to trigger it even semi-reliably).
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.