Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Progression

Default XP Progression

Having just won a game at L39 and looked through the YAVP section, it seems that most RC combinations win the game without levelling past the early 40s (even for gnomes, the fastest levellers!) Even though I've had L50 characters and ultra winners, it's disappointing to me that most characters never unlock their L50 class power even after winning the game.

I think most characters should hit L50 in time for the mana temple, at least leaving them the last two areas of a normal game to enjoy their 'ultimate' power. Fast levelling RC combos (Gnome Farmer anyone?) even deserves to get there sooner.

A related observation: By the late 30s or so it seems impossible to gain XP at a useful rate except when fighting a small subset of very late game creatures (Titans, Ancient Dragons, Greater Molochs).

Any thoughts on this before I RFE an XP rescaling?

Examples:
    L39: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...he-Mindcrafter
    L33: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...-First-victory
    L36: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...swordsman-monk
    L42: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...ef-gate-closer

Quote Originally Posted by shockeroo View Post
    Any thoughts on this before I RFE an XP rescaling?
    Xp was rescaled, no? I mean that subset gives less now, and middle stuff like diamond golems and others sort adds up. IMHO (maybe not so humble), problem is that between tower and Earth temple temple there is next to nothing to do or gain experience. I think best solution is to implement community quests (Volcano, ROLf, etc) in that vacuum..

ToEF had same problem of being sorta forced thing for chars in teens, IQD solved that nicely.

My first and only win was lvl 33 Dwarf Paladin. I wondered where do people go get those levels. I guess I skipped some optional areas and went thru last levels quite fast, but I didn't really feel need to do any extra content just to level up for last levels, everything was easy as lvl 30 paladin. I wouldn't mind hitting higher level, but xp comes fast from temples and late levels, you stall so long in lvl 15-25ish.

Not sure how I feel a out this yet, I feel that a lvl 50 character is pretty amazing and you end up needing to do a lot of extra stuff to get there... But at lvl 50 the end game can get too easy to keep interest. I feel that if there's a level scaling rebalance, maybe the end game should be a bit harder too.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Xp was rescaled, no? I mean that subset gives less now, and middle stuff like diamond golems and others sort adds up. IMHO (maybe not so humble), problem is that between tower and Earth temple temple there is next to nothing to do or gain experience. I think best solution is to implement community quests (Volcano, ROLf, etc) in that vacuum.
    It doesn't look to me like the previous rescaling did much, mostly it just shifted the problem a bit. Most of the XP you get from the Ice Queen content is the guaranteed vault... where you get to kill some high-end monsters.

More content would help somewhat but I feel the underlying XP requirements are still off.

It used to be the opposite. In g14 I remember picking troll when attempting ULE because that would make converting from chaotic to L+ much easier. All the other races would hit 50 before getting enough disposable artifacts for the ratling. Right now trolls seem pretty useless.

Quote Originally Posted by shockeroo View Post
    It doesn't look to me like the previous rescaling did much, mostly it just shifted the problem a bit. Most of the XP you get from the Ice Queen content is the guaranteed vault... where you get to kill some high-end monsters.

More content would help somewhat but I feel the underlying XP requirements are still off.

Do you want goblins to give enough xp to level up char in twenties? Ofcourse high end stuff gives more xp, in that vault just clearing outer ring (not titans/wyrms) is typically good for a level or two. duie to sheer number of mobs which give few k xp each.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Not sure how I feel a out this yet, I feel that a lvl 50 character is pretty amazing and you end up needing to do a lot of extra stuff to get there... But at lvl 50 the end game can get too easy to keep interest. I feel that if there's a level scaling rebalance, maybe the end game should be a bit harder too.
    The best part about being L50 is the extra HP, PP and combat bonuses IMO. Also by the time you get there you've killed SO much stuff you're kitted out with artifacts and top-tier gear.

The class power aren't even that huge... it's just a piece of content that even regular winners don't get to experience.

Maybe a better solution would be for class powers to be earned at earlier levels:

6 => 6
    12 = > 12
    18 => 18
    25 => 24
    32 => 30
    40 => 36
    50 => 42

Thoughts?

I guess you're right for most classes, there's some that would be crazy strong just by being lvl 50 such as mindcrafter, necromancer, barbarian, and archer.

I think it's fine that most characters end the game not being maximum level. After all, maximum level is kind of an anticlimax, you can't get better after that. Also, if an average game with regular ending were enough to reach maximum level, that would mean ultra characters would reach it quite early and then not be able to advance more. We should demand more levels if that were the case

Final class power earlier would be OK to me, although I don't see it as being necessary - it's fine that people who actually go the extra mile to get the maximum level have a reward (and I say this as a player who usually doesn't get there).

Maybe what we need is some reward very deep in the ID so that characters feel motivated to test their uberpowers after having closed the gate?