Thread: Grizzled Dwarven Veteran [GDV] not present in HMV

Default Grizzled Dwarven Veteran [GDV] not present in HMV

Has anyone else seen this ?
    Am trying to play through without saving game at all (autosaves turned off)
    Have obtained Rolf's Shield and Axe (so thought I had done everything essential)
    Cannot find GDV in HMV (have used monster detection spell)
    Wandered around HMV and met a hostile stone giant lord in the top right outside the village
    Is there any chance a hostile stone giant lord could have killed the GDV ?

Given how tough the veteran is, I think he's quite unlikely to have died. If he is dead, he'll have left behind some eternium gear. Keep in mind that he has the same glyph as a raider (light red @), so you might have overlooked him with monster detection.

Grond, how did you know there was a raider in my HMV (it was a raider though)
    Have been round HMV fairly thoroughly now, fairly sure he's not there
    Couldn't find any eternium gear and was just about to start killing off the locals to see if someone had collected it
    Suddenly struck me the only reason I want to see him was to obtain location to in turn obtain an item
    And I had a pre-crowning gift of the Silver Key
    Which as it turns out opens the portal !
    So perhaps he retired early ?
    Another afterthought, would he fight Gaab'Baay if they ended up side by side ? She's fairly brutal

Nice! Getting in with the silver key is very stylish.

Normally Gaab'Baay and the veteran would not fight. It's technically possible if one of them first got injured enough to blind rage. For veteran to get over to Gaab'Baay without you uncovering the secret doors around her would require him to be teleported by a fairy dragon from the jail.

Another amusing possibility is that he got into a blind rage fighting something, and then panicked and fled the HMV (blind rage is required to prevent you from encountering him in the wilderness later on). In this case he would be gone from the game without a trace. Also a very unlikely scenario, but weird things happen sometimes.

If you can get in with the Silver Key, that opens up the possibility of a Paragon Ultimate Dungeon attempt, right?

Edit: Nevermind I forgot about the scroll fragment in the Dwarven Graveyard. Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rostelle View Post
    Has anyone else seen this ?
    Cannot find GDV in HMV (have used monster detection spell)
    Wandered around HMV and met a hostile stone giant lord in the top right outside the village?
    I also found a stone giant lord, but friendly (he was accompanied by a regular stone giant who killed one of the ratling guards. I also can't find the GDV anywhere. One possibility is that I hadn't mentioned Rolf when talking to Thrundarr. I went back, mentioned Rolf and then went back to the HMV, but no luck. Not sure what's up. I thought that he might have died, but I've never seen him anywhere but at the far left of the HMV.