Your equipment suddenly seems to weigh less.
issueid=1604 12-31-2012 01:39 PM
Number of reported issues by Leen Droogendijk: 43
Your equipment suddenly seems to weigh less.
Inadequate message

When you get this message sometimes an item has rotten away, which indeed causes your equipment to weigh less, but other times the only thing happening is an item changing from uncursed to cursed without any weight change.
A better message in the last case would be: "Your backpack is getting smellier and smellier.".
Issue Details
Issue Number 1604
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 5
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-31-2012 01:46 PM
Ancient Member
Lol!!!!

12-31-2012 04:07 PM
Ancient Member
- Monsters are running away from you since you smell of death, decay and rotting
- Undead will be occasionally tamed if enough corpses in your inventory are in 'rotten' state
- 1% chance, that one of the corpses you're carrying while on a graveyard, will spontaneously turn into a zombie or a corpse fiend :D

Just a few ideas I thought of that might give some flavor to the game ;)

12-31-2012 04:32 PM
Ancient Member
The process of decay is analogous to Uncursed -> Cursed and does result in weight loss, so I don't see a problem with this message.

12-31-2012 06:09 PM
In my games cursed corpses do not weigh less than uncursed corpses. "ancardia.us.to" must use some strange apocryphal version.

12-31-2012 07:41 PM
Ancient Member
I think SirTheta was speaking from a realism point of view.

01-01-2013 12:30 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
I think SirTheta was speaking from a realism point of view.
From realism point of view, blessed corpses weigh exactly the same as cursed ones. With time all corpses reduce their weight, be it a rat, monk, or fallen ChAoSgOd

01-01-2013 12:38 AM
Ancient Member
Look, I'm not saying ADOM is realistic, far from it. I'm simply saying that going from Blessed -> Uncursed -> Cursed is exactly analogous to rotting, in the real world, which can involve a change in mass. Just because this is not reflected in-game doesn't mean the message isn't fine. Sure, it would provide more information if you changed it, but I like it better this way as it serves its intended purpose--to be a bit mysterious for those who don't meet the requisite skill check [though I've no idea what it is] to see what is actually happening.

01-01-2013 02:38 AM
I just feel I should draw attention to an important word in the phrase at issue here... "seems"

Your equipment suddenly seems to weigh less. Not that it necessarily actually does. That said, if it's possible, I wouldn't mind seeing weights of foodstuffs vary with their BUC status. Perhaps 10% heavier if blessed, 10% lighter if cursed. For those who go "but then you'll know which state they're in", I'll point out that BUC status for foodstuffs is supposed to be analogous to rotting, and the PC should be capable of telling whether the foodstuffs they have are rotten.

01-01-2013 06:26 AM
I am pleasantly surprised about the amount of feedback here. The game appears to be very much alive.

Unfortunately I am too old to carry around dead giants.
In fact, I am so old, that I cannot even remember the last time I did, so I'd better not comment on the 'realism point of view'.

And I did notice the word 'seems', but the author of this game has turned my mind on the meaning of that word within the game.
If I am told that a monster 'seems to calm down' it actually *DID* calm down, 100% of the time, it it 'seems to be tamed' it *IS* tamed, if the gods "seem to be pleased" they *ARE* pleased.
Therefore it seems(!) to be better to change the message.

01-01-2013 01:47 PM
Ancient Member
A better message would be good, but I'm not sure smellier and smellier is the right one...

01-10-2013 12:14 PM
The Creator
Adjusted the message.

01-17-2013 09:30 AM
Ancient Member
I had the following happen to me: I saw an Ogre, went to melee it, killed it then picked up the corpse with the intention to eat it - the very turn after picking it up, I see the message "your equipment suddenly seems to weigh less" and when I press "e" there is no corpse.
The way I understand it, it rotted instantly and vanished, which I don't think should happen, considering it was probably still warm (creature died the previous turn).
I realize ogres are vile creatures and probably stink of rot anyway, but one turn?

01-17-2013 11:09 AM
Ancient Member
Make a different request for minimum corpse survival then :)

01-17-2013 11:43 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Grey
Make a different request for minimum corpse survival then :)
Not a bad idea. I've had corpses rot away in the same turn as their corresponding monsters were killed.

+ Reply