Bloody and crude daggers
issueid=1885 01-29-2013 02:55 PM
Number of reported issues by Leen Droogendijk: 43
Bloody and crude daggers

The ID'ed name of "bloody dagger" and "crude dagger" are the same (both "orcish dagger").
So in order to distinguish them, you'd better *NOT* identify them.
This is a sin.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1885
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Linux
Status Fixed
Priority 10 - Lowest
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 9
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 11
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 8
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

01-29-2013 02:58 PM
Ancient Member
I agree, it doesn't make sense. Reporting this was in my "to-do" list, but I didn't get around to actually do it.

01-29-2013 03:09 PM
Ancient Member
They have different number of hit dice, I've never had a problem distinguishing between them. Also don't see the contradiction.

01-29-2013 03:44 PM
It's really not a problem if you ask me.

01-29-2013 03:59 PM
Ancient Member
It's not something that affects gameplay in practice because it's still possible to tell between the two, but it's still an inconsistency that two things that look different when unID'd then look like the same thing with different modifiers once ID'd. Maybe I have a somewhat OC type of personality but it has always bothered me.

If stuff like typos, British vs. American spelling, or "Chaos" being written in upper/lowercase in different messages are being fixed, I don't see why this shouldn't be fixed too, it's a much more significant inconsistency than those. And the fix would be as simply as setting the ID'd name of the bloody dagger to "bloody orcish dagger" or "refined orcish dagger", for example.

01-29-2013 04:05 PM
Those are actually mistakes. This is not. They ARE two different types of orchish dagger, only distinguished by their outward appearance at first, then by their deadliness. There needs to be no further explanation if you ask me - it's flavorful and it's descriptive enough.

01-29-2013 04:49 PM
I am aware that people will be divided in two camps on this issue, and probably no amount of arguments will convince someone to change her opinion. Nevertheless, if something like this occurred in my own programs, I would consider it a bug and that's why I reported it, even though, indeed, it does not affect gameplay at all.

So let's not even start those arguments and just wait and see what camp Thomas belongs to.

01-29-2013 04:49 PM
Ancient Member
If the PC is able to distinguish by their appearance before identifying them, he should still be able to distinguish them by their appearance afterwards, apart from distinguishing them by their deadliness (hence the suggestion "bloody orcish dagger").

01-29-2013 05:09 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
simply as setting the ID'd name of the bloody dagger to "bloody orcish dagger" or "refined orcish dagger", for example.
That sounds reasonable.

01-29-2013 05:53 PM
Ancient Member
It's quite possible that this really is a copy-paste error and bloody dagger was meant to have a different name when it was being coded. We'll wait to hear from Thomas on it :)

01-29-2013 07:23 PM
yeah, assuming it was intended may end up like the invisible Khelavaster thing >:D

01-29-2013 07:45 PM
It seems really obvious to me that they should definitely identify differently. Agree on 'bloody orcish dagger' fix.

02-10-2013 05:46 PM
The Creator
It's a copy & paste problem. Now fixed.

+ Reply