Picking Pockets raises artifact count without creating them in game
issueid=2164 05-30-2013 04:48 PM
Number of reported issues by Porkman: 14
Picking Pockets raises artifact count without creating them in game
As above

I have been testing this extensively: picking pockets for thousands of turns (Gremlins in WDL comes to mind) raises artifact count. SPend some 100000 turns in there and you will have >20 artis generated, of which you will have pickpocketed only 3-4.

The artifacts are NOT present in the lair: acidball clearing of lair confirms that.

My suspicion is that it has to do with how the pickpocket mechanics work, and since I don't know it it is just a guess:

IF when pickpocketing, a random item is decided before, and then it is either given or discarded depending on its weight <10s, then it would explain this problem beautifully.

Of course, this isn't much of an issue for people who aren't gremlin bombing, but nevertheless it would be possible for an artifact or two to be permanently lost during normal gameplay.

I have 3 saved files that I can email to whoever wants to work on this that prove it. It is repeatable, time and again.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2164
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Duplicate
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM 1.1.1
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-30-2013 05:44 PM
Ancient Member
Given that gremlin bombing and similar methods of generating huge numbers of pickpocketable monsters have been removed in recent versions, this is probably not a priority 1 issue, IMHO. I've PPed an artifact maybe twice in 10 years of playing ADOM.

Do extra artifacts show up in the .flg?

05-30-2013 07:04 PM
Ancient Member
I've asked Porkman to send me the savegames, and this definitely looks like a bug. A dozen of the artifacts supposedly generated don't seem to exist anywhere within the SVGs as an item.

05-30-2013 10:51 PM
Dunno about priority numbers or whatever, as it is the first time I ever post here. Apologies.

Sure, you may have pp'ed artifacts very seldom, though I fully expect that someone who religiously pickpockets everything they can even without gremlin bombing would lose an arti or two each game...

05-31-2013 02:54 AM
Ancient Member
if you look at the eternium man examples which are mass pick pockets there are a few curious artifacts in the flg, like protector. so yeah clearly a bug but probably of limited impact.

06-13-2013 11:08 AM
...but probably of limited impact.
I would somewhat disagree with this. Doesn't artifact generation affect precrownings possible? So if it's not number of pickpockets, but a predetermined bug that 'generates' an artifact randomly, couldn't that very well completely cost someone an entire precrowning if they happen to pickpocket some random goblin somewhere? And doesn't score depend on artifacts? It's not a game-breaking impact, to be sure, but it's certainly not limited to *just* a number on the final screen.

09-14-2013 03:39 PM
Administrator
Already fixed in Prerelease 7, see issue 813.

+ Reply