New Players: Make existence of choice between VD and Guth'Alak quests clearer
issueid=2216 07-06-2013 10:54 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Harwin: 24
New Players: Make existence of choice between VD and Guth'Alak quests clearer
As an unspoiled player I had no idea that taking the VD quest forfeited Guth'Alak's

Back when I was an unspoiled player, I had many many characters pass through Terinyo and not one of them ever knew that Guth'alak gave a low level quest. I'd cleared the Water temple multiple times before I ever found out about this, and I only found out about it because I read a spoiler.

The first time I entered the town I talked to the village elder first, and he gave me a quest to go to the VD. Then I talked to Guth'alak and he said something like "Aye, Champion, your time will come". Which I took to mean that he had a quest for me later - which he did (Unicorn), but I had no idea I had given up an earlier quest.

Every time I entered the village after that, I talked to the elder first (because I wanted his quest - there appeared to be no downside to taking it), and Guth'alak always said the same thing. And Guth'alaks response made me think - "Oh, of course he doesn't have a quest for me, I'm too low-level". And while I understand why the choice exists from a gameplay standpoint, it didn't make sense from a fictional standpoint, which made it hard to spot unspoiled.

I imagine I might have had a similar experience if I had talked to Guth'alak first, although the Elder doesn't suggest that he'll give you a quest later.

1) Maybe if, the first time you talk to Guth'alak after getting the VD quest he says something along the lines of "I see you're doing some work for the elder. That's probably enough load on your shoulders.", and something similar for the elder.
2) A fortune cookie message that hints at this - possibly more likely if either of the quests has never been done by any player in the high score list.

Lots of things in this game make it obvious "something strange is going on, I should figure out how it works" (the banshee works well this way), but this one doesn't feel like that to me. I think it could be clearer to new players without spoiling it.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2216
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 6
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 5
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-06-2013 11:31 PM
Maybe something as simple as 'Do you want to accept this quest? Y/n' when the sheriff talks to you. That would make it obvious that you might want to check the other 'options' in the town. Once the quest is accepted, and you can't pick the other one up, it'll be a quick lesson that it's 'one or the other'.

07-07-2013 12:13 AM
Ancient Member
A solution that might work is that both quests are available. Once the PC enters the one location, the other one disappears of the map. Or maybe better if the cave entrance is simply blocked.

When the PC returns to the quest giver the player can just be informed by the relevant NPC that someone else killed the druid or that someone else found the carpenter is dead.

07-07-2013 07:47 AM
Ancient Member
For the record, my experience with this when unspoiled was exactly the same as that of the OP, line by line. I didn't discover Guth'Alak's quest until very late, when my characters were already getting orbs. As the OP says, the game not only doesn't hint at the fact that there are two mutually exclusive quests, but it even suggests the opposite with Guth'Alak's message.

I think the OP's "load on your shoulders" suggestion is fine. The Y/n prompt could also be a slight hint, but it's less obvious.

07-07-2013 12:25 PM
In my case, my experience was the other way around: I always talked to the druid (who stands out to me as he's a different 'shape') and so *always* had the Guth'Alak's quest. I didn't know there was a quest for the sheriff.

07-07-2013 12:36 PM
Ancient Member
The sheriff's quest is not mutually exclusive with the druid quest, it is the village elder's quest that is.

07-07-2013 12:47 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1
The sheriff's quest is not mutually exclusive with the druid quest, it is the village elder's quest that is.
Er, yes. Elder is what I meant to say; not Sheriff. Either way, I always talked to The Druid first and never knew the carpenter quest even *existed*.

07-26-2013 01:19 AM
Ancient Member
One additional note:
I just looked at the manual on the "Introduction" and it says "You were told to talk to the village elder as he might have information about the problem". This tends to get you not to get the druid quest. Perhaps this line could be amended as well to indicate that choice?

08-01-2013 04:14 AM
It seems like chatting with the townspeople should give you more information about what's going on in the town. None of the generic farmers/goodwives/children say anything useful as of now, do they? The disappearance of the village carpenter or the appearance of an evil druid in a nearby cave should be things that a number of people are talking about.

In fact it would be ideal (although I realize this will not be implemented), to be able to ask villagers about specific topics, just like you can ask Thundrar(sp). If you asked them about "quests" they could say, "Oh, Guth'alak is looking for someone to help him with the evil druid, and Rynt needs someone to find the village carpenter."

Really, it's a small town where everyone should know each other, and these things should not be a secret.

Heck, seeing as how everyone can tell you are an adventurer, the townspeople should be approaching you and telling you about quests.

+ Reply