Mac NotEye speed issues
issueid=2389 10-13-2013 03:03 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Mobius: 63
Mac NotEye speed issues
Mac NotEye graphic modes use 100% cpu

I think I've issued this complaint before, and it was claimed fixed. Or at least something like it.

On my MacBook pro, the not eye graphic system is quite slow. I've tried the Open GL mode on or off.
It routinely hits 100% cpu usage on default settings. (still on the 15 fps mode)
Some areas have a frame rate that is nearly unplayable, like forest wilderness areas and the Tower of Eternal Flames.

I suspect there is some software rendering occurring, rather than using the video chip.
Missile fire is painfully slow too.

I find myself wishing for a non-animation mode, where the display only changes on input or similar action, rather than constant background animation.
It also uses the battery up much quicker, even when not actually moving.

(if there are some settings I haven't figured out, tell me - then put the hints into the FAQ / readme / help system.)
Music and sound are off too.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2389
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Mac OS X >= 10.5 (NotEye)
Status Fixed
Priority 2
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 16
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users jt
Tags (none)

10-15-2013 08:55 PM
Administrator
With my Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) I "only" get around 60% cpu usage with 15 fps (it climbs to 100% in the forest). We are still optimizing things and hope to reduce it further. NotEye was never optimized for low CPU usage, but I still hope that we can modify the render process to match the original curses library (i.e. to only re-render the areas that have changed).

You can try to reduce the detail level, it is available in the NotEye menu (Ctrl+m, followed by A and D). Right now it only toggles between the values 0 and 100. This should reduce the CPU usage by lowering the graphic details.

tl;dr we are working on it (with low priority though)

01-29-2014 06:36 PM
Administrator
Moving in the forest is much quicker in Prerelease 21. The animations are now handled by NotEye which makes them a) much better and b) they can be configured separately (e.g. you can increase the animation speed). So I guess the only issue left is the high CPU load caused by constantly updating the screen. We will handle this soon.

07-07-2014 08:09 AM
Administrator
The upcoming release (R48) will use SDL2 instead of SDL1 which improves performance a lot. You can also configure different restrictions (like maximum FPS or CPU usage) to reduce the power consumption.

+ Reply