Monsters can react to many actions while paralyzed
issueid=2439 11-04-2013 02:45 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
Monsters can react to many actions while paralyzed
Monsters can react to many actions while paralyzed, despite the obvious inconvenience.

Problem
Monsters react normally to many actions while paralyzed, despite the fact they can't move and thus shouldn't be able to.

'C'hatting with a paralyzed monster works just fine.
'e'ating the corpse of a monster of the same kind still makes them rage.
'g'iven items are still taken, ignored or refused normally (paralyzed beggars can still receive money and give you booze... somehow).
Hostile paralyzed monsters are able to fully resist any attempt to ':s'wap positions.

How to reproduce it
Paralyze a monster somehow (using the wand, having a pet ghoul attack them, or maybe duping them into hitting a gelatinous cube), then attempt any of the above actions on it.

Notes
Things I didn't test: 'a'pplying skills on them, other than Pick Pockets (which can still anger them), 'c'asting spells other than Bless (which still makes them look surprised), 'p'aying or selling things to a paralyzed shopkeeper, attempting to issue orders to a paralyzed companion.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2439
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 18
Fixed Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-05-2013 06:42 AM
Ancient Member
I don't see anything wrong with them getting enraged. Being paralyzed doesn't mean being blind. Wouldn't you get furious if you saw someone eating the corpse of a dear friend while they have paralyzed you?

With the rest, of course, I agree.

11-05-2013 07:16 AM
Ancient Member
Do they shrug off bolts?

11-05-2013 07:40 AM
Ancient Member
On that note: I wonder whether Dopplegangers would deflect missiles?

They might become enrages, yes. Would the PC be able to notice this though?

11-05-2013 12:07 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
I don't see anything wrong with them getting enraged. Being paralyzed doesn't mean being blind. Wouldn't you get furious if you saw someone eating the corpse of a dear friend while they have paralyzed you?
Of course, but how does the PC know this when the monster can't move at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous
Do they shrug off bolts?
Yes, but I didn't include it because paralysis would be too powerful if it disallowed that too.

11-05-2013 02:36 PM
Ancient Member
Classic cinematic paralysis allows vocalization and eye movements. Not stasis. If you can't breathe, you would die after all.

11-05-2013 03:25 PM
Ancient Member
Then decrease the sources of paralysis disablers for PC and make it prevent shurgging bolts.
This is ridiculous, once paralyzed, nothing should be able to shrug bolts.
*foo* gets hit directly without any means of sidestepping the attack, yet it can shrug bolts?
This doesn't make sense, it's inconsistent, overpowered or not, especially given that the PC cannot avoid the very same magic bolts when the PC is paralyzed.
If it stays that way, it becomes just another annoying feature to me, unfair for the player when so many possible workarounds are there.

11-05-2013 05:39 PM
Ancient Member
Well, it doesn't say that the monster dodges the bolt, it just says that it shrugs it off. It's always felt more like a PV type effect than a DV type effect to me. Monsters with higher speed, for example, aren't necessarily any better at shrugging bolts than slow ones. The effect of kobold lightning on the PC is probably a better example--sometimes, even though it still hits you, it doesn't do any damage.

11-05-2013 07:14 PM
Ancient Member
The ability of monsters to "shrug off" bolt spells seems to be linked to an inherent magical resistance to spells, not active effort on part of the creature itself. The bolt "bounces off", so to speak. The - magical - ability goes by "spell resistance" in some places, I think, and in the code is represented by a percentage value. It's very similar to the way spell resistance works in DnD, one of the inspirations behind many of ADOM's mechanics; before a spell cast on a creature with spell resistance can take effect, there is a separate spell resistance roll. If the spell actually connects, it does full damage, though, so it's not like PV either.

07-08-2014 04:20 AM
The Creator
Fixed these and other things. Also took into account being asleep, stunned or confused.

+ Reply