black tome needs improvement
issueid=2546 12-10-2013 10:04 PM
Number of reported issues by Porkman: 14
black tome needs improvement
as useless as cats claw, currently!

How about making it so that it guarantees that you learn the spell, no matter what you are and what your skills are, say, with the same expertise of a xlvl30 wizard with 40 le and 100 literacy/concentration? That *might* make it worth having the corruptions from reading it...
Issue Details
Issue Number 2546
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 8
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-10-2013 10:21 PM
Ancient Member
I think this will ruin the fragile equilibrium of amazing precrowning gifts and disturb the balance of the universe.

No, sorry, actually I think it's a good idea, considering the fact that the only remote use the tome now has can be fulfilled by the guaranteed moon sickle.
Ratling fodder comes to mind too, a redeeming feature, I'm sure.
I still won't read the book unless I have 20 spare scrolls of corruption removal and badly need the spells. Which won't happen anytime soon. Or ever? Close enough.

12-10-2013 11:05 PM
Ancient Member
I don't think, generally, all artifacts need to be great. Having a couple useless artifacts helps stop precrown scummers if nothing else, and adds some variety/rng screws to life

12-11-2013 12:54 AM
Ancient Member
Having a couple useless artifacts helps stop precrown scummers
That's an interesting theory :P

12-11-2013 01:53 AM
Ancient Member
On one side I agree with JellySlayer about not all artifacts having to be good. On the other side, the black tome sucks hard. It's probably the one random artifact I wouldn't want to have even in the early game, a point when any of the other ones, even stuff like Black Thumb, would be highly valued. Getting precrowned with it is a quintessential ADOM disappointment. Porkman's suggestion would definitely fix this, while it would still corrupt you.

12-11-2013 02:46 AM
Ancient Member
You can sell the Black Tome for 40k or so. That much money can do a lot of very useful things in the early game ;)

12-11-2013 03:20 AM
Ancient Member
If precrownings are part of the "quintessential" ADOM experience that's a problem in and of itself.

12-11-2013 05:10 AM
Ancient Member
Not all items in ADOM are the best thing ever. I've found some pretty bad weapons.

Let me ask you a question, if you did not know it corrupts what would you think of it? Because a new player doesn't know it does, he'll happily use it, which is the point of the whole exercise.

If you play the game spoiled you miss 80% of the game. I'm fine with the traps set by the creator, it teaches the player to never be over confident and always expect the worst.

12-11-2013 08:19 AM
Ancient Member
This is fine as-is. Variety is the spice of life.

+ Reply