Yeti humanoidness
issueid=2973 05-14-2014 12:57 AM
Number of reported issues by etymancer: 16
Yeti humanoidness
Yetis are described as "humanoid" but Skullcrusher does not slay them

Monster description for the yeti: "A huge lumbering humanoid covered in icy white fur stares at you with bestial eyes. It's breath is visible and you can read the rancid stink of long rotten flesh. Its square face and huge forehead belies a primitive intelligence, almost more than the huge curved claws springing from muscular forearms. It lumbers forward with an apish gait, flexing its powerful muscles."

It seems that either yetis should be affected by humanoid slaying (I don't have such ammo to check but I assume it would also not affect them) or the word "humanoid" should be removed from their description.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2973
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Fixed
Priority 7
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 23
Fixed Version ADOM r48
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-14-2014 10:56 PM
I thought yetis were beasts. Traditional images of yetis see them as sort of giant apes, like tall chimps or skinny gorillas. "Humanoids" tend to be creatures you can talk to, wield weapons, wear armour. Yetis don't even sound bipedal.

05-16-2014 02:21 PM
Yetis are (IIRC) represented by a white Y. All other Y creatures are humanoids if I recall correctly. The similar kind of logic appears to other monster characters. I'd say yetis are humanoid enough.

05-17-2014 06:24 PM
Y's are constructs, so maybe you're thinking of ice statues and snow golems (snowmen?) or whichever round it is

05-17-2014 06:31 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by YourMum
Y's are constructs, so maybe you're thinking of ice statues and snow golems (snowmen?) or whichever round it is
All golems are vulnerable to humanoid slaying in addition to construct slaying.

05-17-2014 06:49 PM
Quote Originally Posted by YourMum
Yep, and yetis in fact are F's. No other fantasy creatures are humanoid, so by that logic yetis shouldn't be, either.

And yes, the description should be changed, or alternatively the yeti should be changed to some other letter. White @ or h would make sense, although h is used for considerably weaker creatures.

05-17-2014 06:57 PM
h's are little people! dwarves and black hurthlings

05-17-2014 07:01 PM
Ancient Member
If yetis are F's (totally appropriate, btw) then yeah they aren't humanoid - that part should just be removed from their description.

05-18-2014 08:12 AM
Ancient Member
The Yeti IRL is called the "Abominable Snowman" and said to be a kind of ape. I'd say it qualifies as humanoid (of course, this doesn't mean that ADOM yetis must necessarily be humanoids as well).

05-18-2014 05:04 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi
(of course, this doesn't mean that ADOM yetis must necessarily be humanoids as well)
Actually, they should. It's annoying when fictional universes take a name/concept that has already been established and use it to refer to something totally different. If an ADOM "Yeti" isn't a big, apelike humanoid with white fur, then the game should call them something else.

05-18-2014 07:27 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Vivisector 9999
Actually, they should. It's annoying when fictional universes take a name/concept that has already been established and use it to refer to something totally different. If an ADOM "Yeti" isn't a big, apelike humanoid with white fur, then the game should call them something else.
A big ape-like creature doesn't necessarily fit the definition of humanoid - that's more beast than anything!

05-18-2014 08:22 PM
Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta
A big ape-like creature doesn't necessarily fit the definition of humanoid - that's more beast than anything!
Well, I guess that depends on how exactly ADOM defines a "beast". Why is an apelike beast not a "humanoid", while a (no less inhuman) steel golem is?

In any case, Mr. Biskup needs to make up his mind on this one. If a Yeti is a humanoid, then okay - make it vulnerable to humanoid-slaying like the OP wants. If it's a beast, though, then take the word "humanoid" out of the flavor text!

05-21-2014 12:28 PM
I think adding the word 'ape' in there would be good enough. "A lumbering humanoid ape". That way, it's obvious that the word 'humanoid' is being used as the adjective, rather than the noun.

You can be dominant without being *a* dominant.
You can be orange without being *an* orange.
And a yeti can therefore be humanoid without being *a* humanoid. Just make it obvious that it's a 'humanoid whatever'.

05-21-2014 04:42 PM
"A humanoid-shaped beast" would also work. It would make it even clearer that it's not actually humanoid.

05-21-2014 05:56 PM
Ancient Member
If you really don't want it to be humanoid, and want it to be only a beast, I'd still leave "humanoid" out of it completely.

Perhaps "man-shaped beast".

07-06-2014 04:46 PM
The Creator
Yetis were meant to be humanoids. Apes IMHO also are humanoid - humanoid for me always having been the definition of "two arms, two legs".

+ Reply