Remove the 'trapped' armour prefix from the game
issueid=3022 05-29-2014 02:35 PM
Number of reported issues by shockeroo: 50
Remove the 'trapped' armour prefix from the game
The existance of 'trapped' armour stops me ever enountering most other prefixed and suffied armour

tl;dr version: Because trapped armour exists, most armour in my games never gets identified or used, and the other prefixes and suffixes are almost never seen in my games. Full reasoning below, please have a read.

I recently had a game in which I made use of some clothes of travelling that happened to be in my inventory when I read a blessed SoID. I thought 'wow, these are really handy, I should ID random armour more often', but then I remembered why I never do:

All I really care about from body armour for the early game is PV without any huge penalties. Later immunities (dragon scalemail) and DV start to matter more, but mostly it's just PV. That makes clothes and weaker armours fairly useless, and horrible to get stuck in. Ever since getting stuck in trapped clothes, I have never mass equip-ID'd armour, because the risk to reward is far too great. There's never a tremendous benefit from finding a 'nice' set of clothes or other weak armour, but getting trapped without a scroll of item destruction is at the least a colossal nusience, and at worst is game-ending. Typically I'll only equip-ID 2-3 sets of armour in a game; the first (studded) leather armor I find, the first decent set of metal armour I find, and then some dragon scale mail.

That leaves magical ID. The Identify spell is scarce and largely restricted to proper casters; and in any case, by the time they have it, they likely have such good armour that they don't care to randomly ID everything other armour they find. Then there's scrolls of ID, but armour is so heavy that it's just not worth carrying around a ton of it in the hope that there might be something decent in there.

In summary I think the existence of this prefix stops me experiencing all of the other prefixed and suffixed armours in almost all of my games, and I think the game would be richer without it. We'd still have auto-locking which is similar, but is at least countered by holy water.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3022
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Rejected
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM r48
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 10
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-29-2014 02:53 PM
Ancient Member
Trapped armor is rare. You shouldn't be afraid to equip anything because it might be trapped - chances it won't and/or will have a good affix are greater. Even if it does happen (that's ADOM for you), there are means to remove it early in the game, like taking a shower on an acid trap or pissing your deity to the point of item destruction. So, a big no from me.

05-29-2014 03:00 PM
Frankly, I love that trapped armor exists in this game (though I'm glad it's incredibly rare, and I'm furious whenever I stupidly wear-ID one). I would miss it if it were taken out.

05-29-2014 04:04 PM
I understand your reasoning but I think it is worth keeping in the game. It is a rare nuisance, but not a game ender.

However, I also agree with you that most of the armor affixes are not worth it. I'm happy to find red adamantium scale mail, but red clothes will never get worn--the PV is much more important.

05-29-2014 06:57 PM
Ancient Member
I vote no as well.

I personally never try armor because it isn't worth my time - not because I'm afraid of the trapped prefix. Yeah, I could try 20 sets of clothes or I could just leave them on the ground and save myself the trouble. And that's light-weight: let's not consider 150s+ armor. In reality, armor affixes aren't worth the trouble of finding if you don't have SoA.

edit: so, removing trapped doesn't fix that.

05-29-2014 07:46 PM
Ancient Member

07-06-2014 11:10 AM
The Creator
I like that prefix. It stays.

+ Reply