[RFE] Improve bookcasting interface
issueid=3217 07-21-2014 12:41 PM
Number of reported issues by SinsI: 41
[RFE] Improve bookcasting interface
variants: put scrolls below spellbooks, create additional command for just spellbooks, quick-mark spellbooks

Problem: Spellbooks are read (for the purpose of bookcasting spells) much more frequently than Scrolls. But in the "read" menu, Scrolls are displayed first, so any scroll you pick up messes up with the keys required to bookcast that Frost Bolt staple spell you constantly rely on. Later on, you have to scroll through a couple of screens full of Scrolls to even reach Book section.

Possible solutions:
*) change ordering: first display Books, next, Scrolls.
*) separate "read" command for spellbooks only. Keeps both variants (learn and cast)
*) separate "bookcast" command for spellbooks only. Automatically only the "cast" option, for learning you have to use the ordinary "read".
**) quick-mark spellbooks for the purpose of bookcasting
Issue Details
Issue Number 3217
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 2
Suggested Version ADOM r50
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone Modernized ADOM UI
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-21-2014 12:58 PM
Ancient Member
I agree with the separation but not with any change of order.
Many classes will never read spellbooks but will often read scrolls.
Spellbooks may be picked up to be sold later but never to read, like for a mindcrafter or a duelist.
I think that separating scroll reading menu from bookreading would be enough.
The current mechanism of choice whether you wish to learn or bookcast is fine in my opinion.
Pressing "b" could invoke bookreading/casting menu since that command is otherwise unused.
A lot of people however might be too used to having both books and scrolls under a single default "r" key, so a variable in cfg file would be very welcome.

07-23-2014 07:16 PM
Ancient Member
*) separate "read" command for spellbooks only. Keeps both variants (learn and cast)
I think this is the best solution. Add this command, bound to the 'b' key by default, which is both unused and fitting for this like Blasphemous said. Those who want the old behavior can just keep on pressing 'r', and if the new keyboard shortcut is bothersome, it can be edited out of adom.kbd.

07-24-2014 01:40 AM
The reading interface for spellbooks is in need of some work. I tend to play spell-casting types, and I've set the No_Book_Spellcasting specifically to remove that annoyance. ..I actually would like to read directly from spellbooks on occasion, but I prefer the more streamlined reading interface that results from this variable-change.

Using the b key to book-cast actually sounds like a good way to do it. Combined with the No_Book_Spellcasting option, using spellbooks would be beautifully streamlined.

+ Reply