Wielding Executor crashes the game for a Weaponsmith
issueid=3755 07-20-2015 02:57 AM
Number of reported issues by Bieks: 47
Wielding Executor crashes the game for a Weaponsmith
Any hand or missile slot

I got Executor from a greater vault in the FGJC. I suspect it has to do with the level 25 class skill of Weaponsmiths adding {<metal>} to all metallic items. Previous game with a Hurthling thief I also got the jet-black battle axe, but I was able to wield it without problems. Version 57 without NotEye.

On a side note, the automatic backup creation is working just fine. I have saved a copy of the backup file in case it is required.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3755
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All without NotEye
Status Fixed
Priority 1 - Highest
Affected Version ADOM r57
Fixed Version ADOM r60
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-20-2015 04:40 AM
The Creator
I've loaded your backup in R58, unequipped your right hand weapon and equipped executor. I even managed to slaughter many of the enemies without any problems.

Seems to work in R58. Please try it there. I'm closing this issue asI can't reproduce it.

07-20-2015 10:29 AM
I have downloaded both versions of R58. The version with NotEye integration does not seem to crash when Executor is wielded. The version without NotEye still crashes for me though..

07-20-2015 04:37 PM
Administrator
Which operating system are you using? And when does the game crash? Directly after you wield the weapon? Or if you try to hit the first opponent?

So far I haven't been able to reproduce it (using the current version without NotEye on OSX).

07-20-2015 08:39 PM
I am on win7. The game stops responding upon equipping the weapon.

07-21-2015 06:50 AM
Administrator
I could reproduce the problem on Win7. It could be some kind of memory corruption related to the length of the item name. Very odd.

The character is named "Lawrghaw;leh", it this correct?

Did the game crash before playing this character (using this save game)?

07-22-2015 06:44 AM
Administrator
There were two problems:
- the very long item name (which needed two lines) moved the whole information block at the bottom of the view beyond the visible area
- a missing sanity check in cursor positioning then lead to memory corruption as the last line of the view was printed

Both problems are fixed now. The crash only happened with the Windows version without NotEye, but potentially all other versions might crash due to the memory corruption.

07-22-2015 11:03 PM
My apologies for not responding earlier, happy to see this fixed. And yes, my character was indeed named Lawrghaw;leh. I was kind of planning to reroll but figured I'd give it a go anyway. Thought the name was kind of funny so I didn't change it. Especially imagining the shopkeepers saying "Have a nice expedition, Lawrghaw;leh!".

+ Reply