Different Kinds of Poisons/Diseases
issueid=4230 01-15-2016 07:41 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by JellySlayer: 114
Different Kinds of Poisons/Diseases

So, right now in ADOM, we have one kind of poison and one kind of sickness, with very specific effects on them. I was thinking that it might be nice to introduce a variety of different poisons/diseases that could afflict the character with different effects. Aside from adding variety, I think this might be also a nice balancing mechanism--basically it gives the opportunity to tune early game poison/sickness effects to be a little less devastating, and tune up late game poison/sickness to make them more relevant.

Here's a few ideas of what this might look like:

Poisons:
-Neurotoxin: Base energy cost of all actions is increased to 2000. Le, Dx, and Pe are reduced substantially. Spells fail unless a Wi check is passed. Does not deal damage.
-Hemotoxin: Greatly increased chance of Bleeding, Bleeding! etc. from all attacks, extra damage from bleeding. HP regeneration is stalled. Minor damage.
-Soporific: HP regeneration is increased dramatically; DV, to-hit, speed and to-damage are reduced dramatically. When poison wears off, PC falls asleep for a few turns.
-Hallucinogen: Gives temporary boost to Pe, Le. Directions are reversed. All monster skins and descriptions are replaced by those of a WMoPC.

Sickness:
-Leprosy: PC gains the equivalent of a 5 point "immune to pain" talent. HP and Max HP (and health bar) stats are obscured. Boosts Wi at expense of Pe, Dx, Ap, Ch. Wounds leave scars.
-Rabies: PC is locked in Berserk and will attack neutrals without prompting. Damage is increased, but to-hit is reduced dramatically. Most stats reduced while Rabid, and all stats except St are continuously abused.
-Kuru: Penalty to speed, Dx, Wi, Le, abuses Dx, Le. Base action cost increased slowly throughout the course of the disease. Can be brought on by cannibalism.
-Yellow fever: PC will not eat, even if starving. PC suffers periodic damage.

These are just ideas, of course. I've intentionally made it that not all of these effects are necessarily negative. I think one interesting thing might be to give, for example, Demon Daisy or Devil Rose some effect that has some situational use (eg. Soporific) rather than these herbs being otherwise useless.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4230
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 11
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-15-2016 08:13 PM
Ancient Member
I kind of like the idea for sickness, but for poison, how do some of these work with stacking poisons?

Edit:
Maybe tie these diseases to the specific sources of disease?
Rabid Dog->Rabies
Mummy -> Leprosy?
Corpse Fiend?
Kobold corpse?

01-15-2016 08:43 PM
Ancient Member
For stacking poisons, you could either increase the duration of the effect, or possibly have some of the effects scale up/down. For example, Neurotoxin could increase base energy cost by X per poison stack, rather than a flat 1000 point penalty. Or the stat decreases could be more severe with more poison stacks. One thing that would have to be careful in this case would be the positive effects... Stacking a bunch of soporifics to max out your HP regeneration might not be ideal.

I was assuming that these illnesses and poisons would be associated with certain monsters, yes.

01-15-2016 09:06 PM
Ancient Member
I especially like the hallucinogen poison! Maybe instead of everything looking like WMoPC everything just looks like a random monster? It would also introduce the possibility of getting multiple types of poisoning for extra crazy effects.

01-16-2016 12:13 AM
Is there any need for additional debuff effects? How would it affect difficulty? What monster do you think needs those extra boosts?

Don't like this - it sounds like "new content for the sake of new content"...

It would be interesting if it was exclusive to some additional optional late-game dungeon, but not as a new feature for the existing game part.

01-18-2016 10:32 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by SinsI
Is there any need for additional debuff effects? How would it affect difficulty? What monster do you think needs those extra boosts?

Don't like this - it sounds like "new content for the sake of new content"...

It would be interesting if it was exclusive to some additional optional late-game dungeon, but not as a new feature for the existing game part.
Actually, I'd prefer a lot of this to be early/all game content. This isn't meant to make the game harder, it's meant to make the game easier. Take pit viper. Deals 4 damage per ~3 turns on first hit of poison without resistance. Can spawn at level 1 in trap. Very deadly to low level characters. Replace with Neurotoxin... Pit vipers now have nasty slow effect, but don't do bonus poison damage. Maybe easier to deal with. Likewise, getting poisoned by a rat means half HP, no regeneration, for 2000 turns. Nasty business for the game's easiest monster.

01-19-2016 09:16 AM
Ancient Member
The way I understand this, a single casting of cure disease on self or a single curaria mancox consumed, cures any and all of the above diseases?

01-19-2016 10:14 AM
Ancient Member
FWIW, I think disease names should be made up.

01-19-2016 10:17 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
it's meant to make the game easier... by a rat means half HP, no regeneration, for 2000 turns. Nasty business for the game's easiest monster.
Rats cause diseases, but yeah, stat abuse, forced starvation and scars are so much better....

01-19-2016 01:33 PM
Ancient Member
Yellow fever seems a bit harsh there. Get it at the wrong time and you're just dead from starvation.

What if any attempt to eat just sets you to just over the minimum threshold between "Hungry!" and "Hungry", so you'll drop back to Hungry! almost immediately. (That is, any attempt to eat enough to put you there. Smaller meals would do the appropriate, but even blessed stoma won't fill you up)

01-19-2016 03:48 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Harwin
Yellow fever seems a bit harsh there. Get it at the wrong time and you're just dead from starvation.

What if any attempt to eat just sets you to just over the minimum threshold between "Hungry!" and "Hungry", so you'll drop back to Hungry! almost immediately. (That is, any attempt to eat enough to put you there. Smaller meals would do the appropriate, but even blessed stoma won't fill you up)
Also it can't be fixed with curia herb as written. Harwin's approach is better.

+ Reply