Point buy gives inaccurate prediction of final stats
issueid=4255 01-31-2016 12:35 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Mobius: 63
Point buy gives inaccurate prediction of final stats

I created a Raven born Hurthling Weaponsmith.
I set my learning to 10, because literacy is nice to have.

But when I got into the game, it was 9. Did it not work? Is there some other factor involved?

Additionally, the STR bump given to a character so they can lift their equipment is not visible in the point buy, but not sure if that's easy to accomplish.
Issue Details
Issue Number 4255
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status In Progress
Priority 4
Affected Version ADOM r65 (v2.1.0)
Fixed Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 5
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-31-2016 01:59 AM
Ancient Member
Havnt gotten to test out the new version yet, but I thought the point buy system was supposed to have a minor random element to it still.

01-31-2016 02:10 AM
Ancient Member
I tested with orc barbarians. Max I can buy (same with orc of any class) was 16 toughness, actual rolls were 24 and 25. This is not minor, this a bullshit way to do point allocation (I guess somethings like class influence and family hstory happens after, but clsoe to 10 point differential is not acceptable).

01-31-2016 08:48 PM
The Creator
There are some further modifications due to your background story. Therefor it's a feature, not a bug.

I had considered to make background story selection possible, too, but that IMHO leads to too extensive min-maxing.

01-31-2016 09:45 PM
Could your background story not get set before points allocation?

01-31-2016 10:07 PM
Ancient Member
minmaxing is a thing I admit. Guilty as charged!

my reason for reporting this is that the feature confuses me as implemented.

01-31-2016 10:25 PM
I Like the idea of seeing your background story before choosing points, or even just having the background affect the points choosing itself. Although the latter option might be too close to complete min maxing although you aren't choosing your background story.

02-01-2016 07:10 AM
I replied this to general forum thread as well, so I might as well contribute here. I vote yes for background story points added to pool before point allocation. I want point based to be final. I don't mind background being random, it just needs to happen before point based generation.

06-12-2016 06:54 PM
The Creator
Ok, I'll think about that once more ;-)

+ Reply