Introduce more mundane items granting paralyzation resistance
issueid=2778 03-30-2014 12:51 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by _Ln_: 97
Introduce more mundane items granting paralyzation resistance

Currenty if a PC doesn't have intrinsic -Para (from pools) and Preserver, chances are *very high* that (s)he will be using amulet of free action extensively through the mid and late game. It leads to the situation where pretty much all amulets end up being unused despite being relatively powerful for some situations (such as blessed rapid healing giving almost regeneration). In the late game this is justified by mimic hiveminds disguising themselves as items which the PC may attempt to pick. To spare himself/herself from a gruesome death (unavoidable if on Berserk tactics with insufficient DV/PV) you just *have to* use up the amulet slot.
In one of my latest game I got Aylas Scarf from the Minotaur Maze but half of the time I wasn't using it. This was especially jarring on the Chaos Plane where instead of using a blessed artifact with tremendous protective capabilities you are forced to use some silly iron amulet. With the addition of penetrating attacks for Andor this will be even worse.

Can we add a ring/helm/gauntlets/boots that grant -Para? IMHO Preserver and Boots of the Divine Messenger vs an amulet of free action just doesn't cut in my opinion.
It would be nice if bracers of resistance could be upgraded as well to include this power. Possibly in exchange for death resistance.
Issue Details
Issue Number 2778
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Suggested
Priority 8
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 4
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

03-30-2014 12:52 AM
Ancient Member
Linking this related RFE for the inevitable discussion.

03-30-2014 03:19 AM
Ancient Member
I like the idea of giving it to bracers of resistance.

Possibly adding it to one of the new quest artifacts would be an option? Something for the Ice Queen quest maybe.

03-30-2014 09:22 AM
Voting for this. No need to increase -Para items in abundance, just to give options. I also ~never use other amulets if I have found an AoFA.

03-30-2014 11:11 AM
Ancient Member
I'd certainly like bracers with -para but a ring would be very much welcome too.

03-30-2014 12:22 PM
I think providing more items in the relatively sparse categories would be good - bracers, boots, girdles, and cloaks come to mind. Items with Paralysis resistance would fit fairly nicely into all four of these categories. Some ideas for specifics for each of them...

Bracers of action [+1,+0], Mithril (unIDed: "mithril bracers"), 18s, -Para -Stun <- Protects wearer from action-preventing statuses

Boots of the messenger [+1,+1], same material as SLB (unIDed: "fleet boots"), 30s, {Dx+1} -Para <- A weak form of Boots of the divine messenger, can't be distinguished from SLB when unIDed.

Girdle of reaction [+4,+0], same material as girdle of weight (unIDed: "curious girdle"), 40s, (+5 speed) -Para <- Only girdle that boosts DV, cannot be distinguished from girdle of weight when unIDed (thus addressing a problem with the girdle of weight at the same time)

Cloak of freedom [+1,+0], same material as cloak of invisibility (unIDed: "patterned cloak"), 30s, {Wi+1} -Para <- cannot be distinguished from cloak of invisibility when unIDed.

All four would be rare, with girdle of reaction being most common of the four, but all less common than AoFA. I tried to give each one its own feel, and where possible/appropriate, duplicate unIDed properties so that it's harder to identify items just by looking at weight or things like that.

I'd also suggest having a new suffix available for weapons, of the form "of action", providing Paralysis resistance.

03-30-2014 03:12 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
I think providing more items in the relatively sparse categories would be good - bracers, boots, girdles, and cloaks come to mind. .
I would add gauntlets. Another item which is always worn is the elemental gauntlets, unless you need thicks or have found Ironfist.

03-30-2014 04:51 PM
Ancient Member
I usually walk around wearing NotE or Ankh and only equip AoFA when needed and shoot at items, so I don't really need another item type for -para. How many items are we still missing from crowd funding?

03-31-2014 01:18 PM
Ancient Member
I also typically wear the ankh through the mid and late game, and only equip an amulet of free action when needed. Mimic hiveminds are overrated IMHO, with a bit of care they are not so hard to spot (it is infrequent that they have very common colors, and when I see an uncommon colored item, I shoot, wear free action, etc.)

That said, more -Para items would be OK, maybe especially gauntlets for the reason Harkila mentions.

04-03-2014 12:18 PM
Wouldn't hurt to have something like a helmet of free action. I don't know if it's just my.luck but I.certainly find far fewer pieces of head wear with intrinsics than I do rings, amulets etc. People probably do stock to one main amulet once it's found but it's definitely up to the individuals playing style and preference.

04-11-2014 10:44 PM
This is an awesome idea, but I'd just as soon see the intrinsic be easier to obtain - perhaps just make eating ghul corpses work like spider corpses, where it provides the negative effect but also resistance to it?

04-12-2014 12:04 AM
Ancient Member
Making all pool intrinsics wishable would be enough for this, I have already made an RFE about it months ago though there was varying support for that.
The rarity is otherwise fine I think, resistance to paralyzation is in my opinion life-saving, often multiple times over the course of one game.
It can't be too easy to get and is certainly worthy using a wish to obtain.
There will always be those to claim I can wish for an amulet of free action but it is most certainly *not* the same, not even close, as it takes away a very useful inventory slot which would otherwise be free if the intrinsic was obtained via a wish, and mentioned slot could be used for ankh or aols.

04-12-2014 03:17 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Setremedes
This is an awesome idea, but I'd just as soon see the intrinsic be easier to obtain - perhaps just make eating ghul corpses work like spider corpses, where it provides the negative effect but also resistance to it?
If ghul corpses granted paralysis resistance, that would be going all the way to the other extreme. They would make the intrinsic very easy to get, and that virtually eliminates the risk posed by paralyzing monsters.

However, someone once suggested doing this with gelatinous cube corpses, and I agreed because those are very rare.

04-12-2014 04:25 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
If ghul corpses granted paralysis resistance, that would be going all the way to the other extreme. They would make the intrinsic very easy to get, and that virtually eliminates the risk posed by paralyzing monsters.

However, someone once suggested doing this with gelatinous cube corpses, and I agreed because those are very rare.
The other way to keep it from being too easy/safe would be to make it so that ghul corpses only grant paralysis resistance, say, 1% of the time. Instead of it being really hard to find the corpses, it's merely a serious danger eating the corpses.

04-12-2014 02:23 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
The other way to keep it from being too easy/safe would be to make it so that ghul corpses only grant paralysis resistance, say, 1% of the time. Instead of it being really hard to find the corpses, it's merely a serious danger eating the corpses.
This might be ok but only if you get a clear message whether you got it or not. I'm ok with Fire Beetles misleading you because they're 50%. If you got the same message every time you ate a ghul corpse then the message is meaningless, because you could never think you'd gotten it.

And even then, this would only be ok for spoiled players.

Unspoiled players are probably going to eat the corpse, get paralyzed, fail to see any result(1%) and stop. Having the rarity on the corpse drop means that a player can actually try it, and if the corpse doesn't drop, he doesn't think he's learned any information about the corpse (because he hasn't).

+ Reply