Thread: Weapon advice please

Default Weapon advice please

Hi Guys

I'm struggling to decide which weapon I should be using and was hoping to get some input.

I'm playing as a Troll healer that's just finished the Terinyo quests and heading for the Caverns of Chaos.

I've got a sword of sharpness that I've been using almost exclusively since I found it in the Puppy Cave (level 2!). It's blessed and rustproof and does +2 4d8+1.
    I also have an adamantium mace of devastation (+0, 5d6 +12) and was gifted Serpent's Bite as a pre crowning gift.

I'm really not sure what I should be using as an everyday weapon. 4d8 and 5d6 seem pretty much of a muchness but the mace has a higher damage modifier (+12!). The dagger has slaying against humanoid though which is probably the most common enemy (though I'll admit that I don't know what effect the slaying bonus actually has).

Can anyone give me some advice? With these weapons to hand, what would you be using? What does the daggers slaying bonus actually do? Is the effect good enough to discard the other weapons?

http://anydice.com/ is a cool site to type in dice and get averages, etc.
    Here is a link for those particular weapons.
    Serpent's Bite slays humanoids, poisons, and gives extra crits. It'd probably be good to make sure you have some weapon marks in that skill for the orb guardians, etc, but the mace will have the highest rolls (not factoring in the crits or poison)

Edit: The effect of slaying is that any successful hit will be a critical hit. The message generated says you hit "with full force", and these attacks will deal double damage.

Just a note, but missile critical work slightly differently. Plenty of info on the Wiki (if you don't mind being spoiled a bit). Otherwise people are generally happy to help.
    Last edited by Kyreles; 01-16-2016 at 03:13 PM.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Probably Adamantium mace of devastation is the best one here. Sword of sharpness is made from Iron and thus gets destroyed easily. Adamantium is more resistant to many things. Dagger isn't that bad, but probably isn't the best melee weapon in game. Dagger beign artifact tho cannot be destroyed and humanoid slaying helps a lot and poison helps a bit too. I would pick the mace or dagger.

Dagger. Hands down. The other weapons do great dmg, but most enemies are considered humanoid, and you'll do double dmg against them every time. Then also if a monster is too strong you can always use the hit and run tactic and watch your enemies die of poison

Quote Originally Posted by ghwc View Post
    Hi Guys

I'm struggling to decide which weapon I should be using and was hoping to get some input.

I'm playing as a Troll healer that's just finished the Terinyo quests and heading for the Caverns of Chaos.

I've got a sword of sharpness that I've been using almost exclusively since I found it in the Puppy Cave (level 2!). It's blessed and rustproof and does +2 4d8+1.
    I also have an adamantium mace of devastation (+0, 5d6 +12) and was gifted Serpent's Bite as a pre crowning gift.

I'm really not sure what I should be using as an everyday weapon. 4d8 and 5d6 seem pretty much of a muchness but the mace has a higher damage modifier (+12!). The dagger has slaying against humanoid though which is probably the most common enemy (though I'll admit that I don't know what effect the slaying bonus actually has).

Can anyone give me some advice? With these weapons to hand, what would you be using? What does the daggers slaying bonus actually do? Is the effect good enough to discard the other weapons?
    1. Don't play troll healers, please. I know guidebook list them as good, but their lack any synergy.
    2. I would just calculate average damage -
    SoS 4d8+1 - min 5 max33 -- av 18
    Adamantium awesome thing - min 17 max 42 -- average 29.5
    Poisonous dagger - 3d4+3 min 6 max 15 average 10.5
    For well rounded weapon adamantium.
    3. Salying guarantees critical. Critical melee hit gives double damage (all from weapon, weapon skill, character various bonusi).
    Normally slaying weapon is good on troll since, well, trolls got decent St bonus to multiply. Except daggers get bonus from Dexterity, nowadays, I believe. So stick with adamantium awesome thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    1. Don't play troll healers, please. I know guidebook list them as good, but their lack any synergy.
    2. I would just calculate average damage -
    SoS 4d8+1 - min 5 max33 -- av 18
    Adamantium awesome thing - min 17 max 42 -- average 29.5
    Poisonous dagger - 3d4+3 min 6 max 15 average 10.5
    For well rounded weapon adamantium.
    3. Salying guarantees critical. Critical melee hit gives double damage (all from weapon, weapon skill, character various bonusi).
    Normally slaying weapon is good on troll since, well, trolls got decent St bonus to multiply. Except daggers get bonus from Dexterity, nowadays, I believe. So stick with adamantium awesome thing.
    1. Partly true, but skill set is very nice, and still have good spell learning chance.

2. Yep.

3. Daggers use strength still. That's never changed, but it'd be Cool if it did. Just test it out. Not hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    1. Partly true, but skill set is very nice, and still have good spell learning chance.

3. Daggers use strength still. That's never changed, but it'd be Cool if it did. Just test it out. Not hard to do.
    1. Learning chance? Not after reading/Literacy was reworked, last time I tried non-troll healers had problem with books before improving Learning significantly. Since Le potential now atters trolls are into lot of trouble reading.

3. I thought they changed. I still stick with adamantium awesome thing since healers have find weakness.

p.s. http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1413. Apparently it is just backstab bonus increased on daggers not all damage.
    Last edited by Soirana; 01-16-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    1. Learning chance? Not after reading/Literacy was reworked, last time I tried non-troll healers had problem with books before improving Learning significantly. Since Le potential now atters trolls are into lot of trouble reading.

3. I thought they changed. I still stick with adamantium awesome thing since healers have find weakness.

p.s. http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1413. Apparently it is just backstab bonus increased on daggers not all damage.
    I've had non-troll healers able to learn improved fireball well, and I've had troll healers have no problem with fireball, but I am a compulsive pickpocketer so my Le potential is always decent by mid-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    Wow this is great, thanks for the link!
    Freedom through action!