Incorporating ADOM Sage's UI enhancements
issueid=1115 07-04-2012 10:37 PM
Number of reported issues by moozooh: 17
Incorporating ADOM Sage's UI enhancements
surely we don't need an external application for these features

ADOM Sage is a frontend for ADOM that expands its UI with numerous features. Some of the main ones (as listed in the readme):

• Colored messages
  • Macros
  • Spell and mindcraft screens now display range, damage, and duration.
  • The ability to automatically swap places with neutral creatures
  • Pressing < or > while teleporting moves the cursor to the up/down stairs

There are numerous other features, but most of them aren't as noticeable or important. At least the listed features are all must-have; they've been a great help, and thanks to them I can't imagine playing ADOM without Sage anymore. Preferably all the useful features from Sage should be added to ADOM in one way or another, though.

Current progress: (added by jt)

- colored messages (either exact match or regular expression)
- colored messages in message buffer
- message suppression
- message replacement
- no_skip/allow_skip support
- repeat last command
- use < and > keys in teleportation mode to jump to the next up/down stairs
- auto swap neutrals
- enhanced mindcraft menu with armor and damage values

(you can use your existing "sage.msg" file, just rename it to "adom.msg")
Issue Details
Issue Number 1115
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 3
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 11
Implemented Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 17
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 23
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-05-2012 12:00 AM
Ancient Member
A Sage feature I'd really like to see in the official version, is spam reduction. Is it really necessary to hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd or remind the player of how hot the ToEF's air is (even worse if using a ring of ice) every other turn?

07-10-2012 06:07 PM
Ancient Member
And mouse support!

08-05-2012 07:29 PM
Now that ADOM 1.2.0p1 is out, i've learned that i can live without the ADOM Sage UI like colored messages and auto-swap neutral, etc... However i've now learned that the one feature of Sage that i can't live without is the repeat last command function bound to the ' key...

12-11-2012 11:56 AM
For me also, "repeat last command" is the one feature from Sage I sorely miss.
Just to make exactly clear how this works: it repeats the entire sequence of key presses until a command is complete.

Some examples of keypresses, assuming "repeat" is bound to ':
- kick down door to the north, which takes 3 attempts: k8''
- try 4 times to pick the pocket of a monster to the west, assuming 'Pick Pockets' is quick-marked as 1: a14'''
- eat a heap of 8 bones from slot 'C' on the 3rd page of my food inventory: e++c'''''''

Also macros would be nice to have, but they're a rather distant second.
I used to always quick-mark First Aid as 0 and had Sage configured to expand the macro 0 to a0, allowing me to apply first aid with just a press of the thumb on the numeric keypad.

02-07-2013 05:13 PM
I'd love to see colored messages and repeat last command, in that order of importance, in Adom. Mostly, I'd like to see coloring of messages that betray unique dungeon features like "You feel a pious aura" or "You hear the wind howling" (which isn't present in sage). I play reasonably fast and totally miss dungeon features like those sometimes because of that. Of course, as in Sage, all these features should be able to be turned off and on independently in adom.cfg.

02-09-2013 12:18 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
A Sage feature I'd really like to see in the official version, is spam reduction. Is it really necessary to hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd or remind the player of how hot the ToEF's air is (even worse if using a ring of ice) every other turn?
Another annoying spam would be the message you get when taking damage (or not in the case of fire resistance) because of neutral/lawful alignment as a Chaos Knight.

02-09-2013 02:52 PM
Ancient Member
Apart from the ones mentioned, the Sage auto-swap with non-hostiles feature is also really useful.

08-22-2013 02:09 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Citronvand
Another annoying spam would be the message you get when taking damage (or not in the case of fire resistance) because of neutral/lawful alignment as a Chaos Knight.
Yes, those are extremely cumbersome, to the point these days I sacrifice the potential quest rewards and don't bother converting just to avoid the message spam. I think it shouldn't be displayed if you aren't taking damage from the pain (=Fire, Immune to Pain talent), but that's a different suggestion.

08-22-2013 02:24 AM
Yes, those are extremely cumbersome, to the point these days I sacrifice the potential quest rewards and don't bother converting just to avoid the message spam. I think it shouldn't be displayed if you aren't taking damage from the pain (=Fire, Immune to Pain talent), but that's a different suggestion.
Imagine if there was an arena in the TOEF where one of the random opponents was a Dorn beast. The messages generated might read something like this:

You resist the searing flames!
You hear the ecstatic cries of a large crowd!
You hear a distinct "Harrumph"

Times 9999, of course.

08-22-2013 02:26 AM
Quote Originally Posted by aerol
Mostly, I'd like to see coloring of messages that betray unique dungeon features like "You feel a pious aura" or "You hear the wind howling" (which isn't present in sage).
So, are "sage-esque" features not actually present in sage fair game for this topic then? I have one if that is the case.

08-22-2013 03:55 AM
I definitely want to see some sort of spam reduction. I haven't used Sage so I don't know how (or if) it handles this, but I came across a large threat room of Dorn Beasts in my last game [18 distant hurumphs per turn!!! >_<]
Maybe for repeated messages, just display the message once with '(x n)' after them like the way they are stored in the message buffer? [e.g. "You sense a certain tension." (x8) ] Or would that even make sense to implement? =|

08-22-2013 04:17 AM
Quote Originally Posted by kNightCrawler
Maybe for repeated messages, just display the message once with '(x n)' after them like the way they are stored in the message buffer? [e.g. "You sense a certain tension." (x8) ] Or would that even make sense to implement? =|
I do think that would make sense. It could be used in some cases to quantify a threat. If you received the message "You hear a distinct 'Harrumph!'x8" you would know that there was a whole herd of Dorn beasts nearby.

08-22-2013 02:20 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by kNightCrawler
I definitely want to see some sort of spam reduction. I haven't used Sage so I don't know how (or if) it handles this
There is a "supress" section in sage.msg. If you add messages under that they won't show up in the game. The default looks like this (lines starting with # are comments).

Code:
# Unnecessary messages
:suppress
Select the companion you want to issue an order to.
Select the slave to command.
Extended drop command.
#(easily cutting through %s armor with the %s)
#You lust for blood!
#The %s returns!
#You manage to catch it.
#You fail to catch it.
I suppose officially implementing this feature as present in Sage would be somewhat admitting certain messages are useless and only annoying - but each player will have his own thoughts on what's spam and what isn't. I for one already know the ToEF is extremely hot, or that the are people cheering in the arena, so I wouldn't miss the messages at all. Distant "hurumphs" I wouldn't suppress, because a tension room of Dorn Beasts is a significant threat (and they're rare anyway).

08-22-2013 03:29 PM
Quote Originally Posted by aerol
Mostly, I'd like to see coloring of messages that betray unique dungeon features like "You feel a pious aura" or "You hear the wind howling" (which isn't present in sage).
.. this can be configured by editing sage.msg
pic

08-22-2013 04:53 PM
There is a "supress" section in sage.msg. If you add messages under that they won't show up in the game.
Ahh, that makes sense. Nevermind.

08-30-2013 04:50 PM
we really need a better alert system for when you are close to dyng. i have repeatedly died due to hunger or low hp because I just didn't notice. Ok my fault, but this just isn't fun. someone told me there is a beep or something in noteye, when hp get slow, but I have not noticed it.

turning this on can be optional. Yes the game is hard, but its still a 'game'. So Id like to get some kind of wimpy level so I can get notified. 'hold down wait' and then die before you lift it off. I'd rather have the option to pause the game. It should be up to me.

09-19-2013 07:45 PM
Administrator
All major Sage features are now available in ADOM (see first post for the list). Macros are missing for now.

09-19-2013 07:51 PM
Ancient Member
Wow, that's amazing! Thanks jt.

09-19-2013 08:04 PM
Ancient Member
What Jelly said :D Highly looking forward to the next prerelease!

09-20-2013 12:02 AM
Ancient Member
Holy smokes!

+ Reply