Cancelling a book casting action still costs 3000 energy
issueid=1291 10-23-2012 04:45 AM
Number of reported issues by Pim: 9
Cancelling a book casting action still costs 3000 energy
Cancelling an action normally costs no energy, and causes no game turns to pass. But cancelling a book cast causes 3000 energy to be spent and 1 turn to pass.

1. Read a book to successfully learn the spell (or, acquire a book of a spell which you already know).
2. Reduce your power points low enough that you will be unable to book cast the spell without dipping into Hit Points. (This is the only way I know that will allow you to cancel reading a book.)
3. Read the book again. You will be prompted "Do you want to [c]ast or continue to [l]earn the ... spell?"
4. Select Cast. You will be prompted "Do you want to exhaust yourself casting this spell? [y/N]"
5. Select No. "You abort your attempt."
6. The dynamic display now reads LE: 3000, and number of game turns passed M is now M+1.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1291
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows XP
Status Fixed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 3
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 19
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users adom-admin
Tags (none)

10-23-2012 04:54 AM
Likely usage scenario: you are playing a lowbie spellcaster and have precious few spellbooks. You keep one book on hand so that you won't run out of castings of your offensive spell. As time goes by, during your adventures you reach a point where you get stuck next to an enemy and decide melee isn't working, you need to blast him with Fire Bolt instead. You go to read your spellbook at him, knowing that he will die and no other enemy is within 3 squares of you, so the energy cost isn't an issue.

But, you get the message "Do you want to exhaust yourself casting this spell?" because you weren't paying attention to your Power Points. You think "Oh. Well no, of course I don't want to do that. I'll go ahead and risk casting it from memory instead. That should be okay, my castings are only down to 138... ugh. Wish I had more spellbooks!"

But when you hit "No", and get the "You abort your attempt" message, you also get the messages "The ghul misses you. The ghul misses you. The ghul hits you. The ghul misses you. The ghul hits you. You lose blood! The ghul hits you. You die..." because three turns passed instead of zero.

10-23-2012 01:21 PM
Ancient Member
Well, you still took the time to evoke the magic from the book and get ready to cast the spell which warrants the extra energy cost, you just chose not to. Although that sort of stuff is debatable.

Something related to this that I never liked is that if you 'r'ead the wrong book, you have to either cast or learn from it (assuming No_Book_Spellcasting=false, of course). There is no cancel option in case I wanted to bookcast Acid Ball but pressed the wrong key and picked my spellbook of Create Item. In this particular case I can choose to learn and immediately stop when monsters attack me, but...

10-23-2012 10:03 PM
It's possible to rationalize / explain away every potential bug as "working as intended," but, this one felt wrong to me. And since I couldn't find any discussion on the topic, nor any other bug reports, I figured I'd do my part and seek clarification.

As or lacking a cancel option in general... I don't know about that one. There's no cancelling reading a scroll either; or drinking a potion, or eating an herb, etc. Might be nice, but it might also just inflate the number of keypresses required for routine actions. On the other hand, since it's stopping and giving us an option anyway, one of those options may as well be cancel. Like zapping a wand or shooting a missile. Hmm....

10-23-2012 10:08 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Pim
On the other hand, since it's stopping and giving us an option anyway, one of those options may as well be cancel. Like zapping a wand or shooting a missile.
Exactly my thoughts. If the game asked for confirmation on every action, that'd be exasperating. But here you already have to pause to pick [c]ast or [l]earn, so why not add [z] to exit :)

11-14-2013 05:43 PM
Administrator
Fixed.

Also added a "Z = abort" when reading a spellbook like anon123 suggested.

+ Reply