skill advancement behaves differently in 1.2.0 p4 vs 1.1.1
issueid=1340 11-13-2012 06:29 AM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by Mobius: 63
skill advancement behaves differently in 1.2.0 p4 vs 1.1.1
Background skill advancement reduces dice

Not sure if it's 'by design' or not.

I have a memory that in 1.1.1, skill advancements in between levels did not modify the dice used to advance a skill.
So no matter how many times you advance a skill through training, you still use the same MdN.

In 1.2.0 p4, I checked my 'A' skill screen, and saw Smithing had [1d3] advancement dice.
worked on using smithing a whole lot. saw two advancements in the skill. (3, 2).
Went back to 'A' skill screen, and noticed the advancement dice was [1]

Unsure if this is new behavior, old behavior, or intended behavior.
The net effect is that is is very hard to bring a skill up to 100 unless it starts high, or you spend inordinate amounts of time training.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1340
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Mac OS X 10.4
Status Fixed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 4
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 22
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

11-13-2012 08:52 AM
Ancient Member
I think it was the same in 1.1.1.

11-13-2012 10:53 AM
Ancient Member
This was the same previously, so not a bug.

11-20-2012 04:30 AM
Maybe related, although I'm playing 1.2.0 p3:

When I get theoretical training from Yergius, my dice modifier changes as expected. However, if I get some increase in skill due to natural training, then the dice modifier reverts all the way back down to where it was, or lower, than before I got training with Yergius. Meaning I do not get the chance to benefit from the theoretical training's boost to dice, at level up, because it was already "consumed" before then.

I'm pretty sure this "consuming" behavior was not present in 1.1.1b4. Back then, if I trained with Yergius theoretically, then that change in dice modifier stuck until level up. Or it may be, that when I got skill increases, the modifier only went down one level by one level, instead of immediately dropping all the way back down to pre-theoretical-training level. Not sure.

So for example, previous behavior:
I buy 4 levels of theoretical training in Stealth with Yergius, changing my dice from 1d5 to 3d5. Skill level is, say, 42.
I get a couple of points of natural training. Skill goes up from 42 to 44. No change in dice.
I go up a level and train Stealth once: skill goes up from 44 to, say, 54. Dice changes from 3d5 to 3d4.

New, unexpected, possibly buggy behavior:
I buy 4 levels of theoretical training in Stealth with Yergius, changing my dice from 1d5 to 3d5. Skill level is, say, 42.
I get a couple of points of natural training. Skill goes up from 42 to 44. Dice changes from 3d5 to 1d5.
Infuriated, I buy 4 more levels of theoretical training in Stealth from Yergius. Dice changes from 1d5 to 3d5 again.
I go up a level and train Stealth once: skill goes up from 44 to, say, 54. Dice changes from 3d5 to 1d3.
Infuriated, I file a bug report.

I, too, could be remembering wrong. Maybe it was always this way.

11-20-2012 05:14 AM
Ancient Member
@ Grey: Stating that it was the same in 1.1.1 doesn't make something not wrong. It's like saying 1.1.1 is bugfree.

Edit - I've trained Climbing with Yergius. Theoretical up to 4d5. Practical 210 lessons. Climbed some 20 mountains. After a few days, maybe 5, there was no increase in the Climbing skill. Yet Pickpocketing that I only applied 28 times during the start of the game increased at every check all the way from 1 to 80 near the end of the game.

04-22-2014 07:51 PM
The Creator
Fixed. And climbing mountains now yields more practical training, too.

+ Reply