RFE: Clarify the Lithium man achievement
issueid=3768 07-24-2015 12:17 AM
Number of reported issues by Bieks: 47
RFE: Clarify the Lithium man achievement
Visiting the Ogre Cave locked me out of it

I didn't know whether I could visit the Ogre Cave for my Lithium Man attempt. Turns out I couldn't. I actually Googled whether or not I could enter it, considering it is part of the Caverns of Chaos. Either that or the Lithium Man achievement is broken. I am assuming it was just silly on my part. The current wording is:

"Complete the game without ever visiting any locations other than the Caverns of Chaos and the Tower of Eternal Flames"

I would like to see this amended to:
"Complete the game without visiting any locations other than the Caverns of Chaos and the Tower of Eternal Flames. The Ogre Cave and the Blue Dragon caves are off-limits as well."

Not that I visited the Blue Dragon's caves, anyway.

Other suggestions:
- Make a 'challenge game' format other than weekly challenge that allows you to choose the <metal> man mode you require, then have the game warn/kill the PC once it deviates from the postulated challenge
- Add a key you can press in the achievement list to get more information on challenge games

All that aside, I should have known.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3768
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Implemented
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version ADOM r60
Implemented Version ADOM r68 (v2.2.2)
Milestone "Resurrect ADOM" Indiegogo Fulfillment
Votes for this feature 7
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-24-2015 01:00 AM
Ancient Member
I think visiting neither location should prevent you from getting the achievement. They're both part of the CoC.

07-24-2015 10:02 AM
Ancient Member
Last time I checked Lithium achievement was broken. It was supposed to be fixed, but so far I ' don't know anyone who got it.

I honestly don't care if OC is allowed or not. But knowing if it is okay to enter or not would be good.

07-24-2015 05:25 PM
Well, I did save right before leaving the chain. Let me upload the zip. If the ogre cave is allowed, it would make for easy testing of the Lithium Man achievement.

07-24-2015 05:46 PM
Ancient Member
I've tried save in r58 offline mode it unlocked some various stuff [I keep deleting non steam achievement file for test] but not Lithium.

However, since I've never heard of that achievement unlocked it could be that unreal caves are not allowed or something else is broken. Or it could be ogre cave.

08-03-2015 06:02 PM
Gotta be Ogre Cave since that's literally the only non-essential location I visited. Perhaps visiting both the dwarven halls and the animated forest throws a wrench in getting the achievement?

09-23-2015 06:04 AM
Ancient Member
I just did Lithium without the Ogre cave. No achievement. The only 'optional' place char ever saw was DH.

This thing needs to be fixed seriously.:(

01-12-2016 08:46 PM
I just tried it with no achievement. I wonder if it would be too much work for the player to be able to say which type of challenge they are going for (Lithium, Eternium, Iron, etc) and for the game to tell you when it detects you have violated the rules.

01-13-2016 01:26 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles
I just tried it with no achievement. I wonder if it would be too much work for the player to be able to say which type of challenge they are going for (Lithium, Eternium, Iron, etc) and for the game to tell you when it detects you have violated the rules.
Shouldn't even have to tell it at the start.
You should be able to just do a quick check on which of those are still valid.

01-13-2016 03:28 PM
I think all the branches of Caverns of Chaos (including Darkforge) should be OK to visit, only locations that are separate on the world map should be off limits.

01-14-2016 11:01 AM
No way do I think you should be able to raid Darkforge and still get Lithium. When I do a Lithium run I avoid the BDC, but I'm fine with leaving it in. Same for Ogre Cave and similar.

01-14-2016 11:04 AM
Ancient Member
At this point I prefer at least to know that is allowed and that is not.

01-14-2016 01:37 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles
No way do I think you should be able to raid Darkforge and still get Lithium. When I do a Lithium run I avoid the BDC, but I'm fine with leaving it in. Same for Ogre Cave and similar.
You could allow Darkforge (since you could accidentally take the stairs) but not the level above it?
If you get to Darkforge from the CoC you're not really "raiding" it at that point in the sense that you probably have great equipment already.

I just don't want players to be punished for accidentally entering darkforge from the CoC. I'm fine with preventing them from going in from wilderness.

Is the simplest Lithium achievement to say: "You may not enter locations on the world map FROM THE WILDERNESS except for ToEF and CoC"?

01-14-2016 01:55 PM
Ancient Member
If you go into DF from CoC then you can't go down again. So, there is that to keep in mind.

Maybe the way should simply be blocked both ways?

01-15-2016 05:47 AM
I completely agree. Either allow a visit to the Ogre Cave and Blue Dragon Caves, or alter the achievement wording, as I would consider those to be within the CoC as well - the Ogre Cave is part of those caverns IMO and the Blue Dragon Caves *are* a slightly altered reality but that's not obvious until you actually step in them.

Darkforge is a tough one, as it's not technically the CoC and you can't just re-enter those caverns from the forge level, but it's easy to mistakenly walk into unless you're an expert; I suppose you could walk straight back to the CoC through the wilderness, though, but would also have to enter the upper level of Darkforge which might count as a second seperate area.

Alternate suggestion for Lithium Man runs: introduce a line when entering Darkforge or maybe any other 'restricted' area in the CoC: "You are now leaving the Caverns of Chaos. Continue? Y/N"

01-15-2016 01:16 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Kelibath
I completely agree. Either allow a visit to the Ogre Cave and Blue Dragon Caves, or alter the achievement wording, as I would consider those to be within the CoC as well - the Ogre Cave is part of those caverns IMO and the Blue Dragon Caves *are* a slightly altered reality but that's not obvious until you actually step in them.

Darkforge is a tough one, as it's not technically the CoC and you can't just re-enter those caverns from the forge level, but it's easy to mistakenly walk into unless you're an expert; I suppose you could walk straight back to the CoC through the wilderness, though, but would also have to enter the upper level of Darkforge which might count as a second seperate area.

Alternate suggestion for Lithium Man runs: introduce a line when entering Darkforge or maybe any other 'restricted' area in the CoC: "You are now leaving the Caverns of Chaos. Continue? Y/N"
The only problem I have with those is I'd prefer it if people didn't have to specify in advance which achievement they were going for. I'd rather they be able to check which ones are eligible. If you *do* specify in advance, I agree a warning prompt is the right answer.

I support making the CoC/DF block bi-directional assuming there's a way in a normal game to open it both ways. (It normally opens completely both ways if you've done ToEF and have RoTHK right?)

08-23-2016 12:29 PM
The Creator
There was a problem with counting the necessary locations. I have now adjusted this: You need 62 locations for the minimum win (according to my own understanding of ADOM :-) ):

1 - wilderness
50 - caverns of chaos (using the living tree level instead of DH)
4 - ToEF
7 - Mana temple branch

ADOM now checks this number in a hard-coded way (instead of the using the dynamic routine I obviously fumbled before).

Fixed.

08-30-2016 03:24 AM
Just to clarify taking into account what you replied on the Steam forum here http://steamcommunity.com/app/333300...8516950707582/, is it now max 63 locations (DH)?

09-13-2016 07:06 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
There was a problem with counting the necessary locations. I have now adjusted this: You need 62 locations for the minimum win (according to my own understanding of ADOM :-) ):

1 - wilderness
50 - caverns of chaos (using the living tree level instead of DH)
4 - ToEF
7 - Mana temple branch

ADOM now checks this number in a hard-coded way (instead of the using the dynamic routine I obviously fumbled before).

Fixed.
Just completed run with no split, DH, ogre cave. On victory shows 62 locations. Achievement still locked.

Bump.

09-14-2016 02:38 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
Just completed run with no split, DH, ogre cave. On victory shows 62 locations. Achievement still locked.

Bump.
Did you do DH and the ogre cave or not?
Is it "No split, no DH, no ogre cave", or "No Split, but yes DH, and yes Ogre Cave"

Edit: *facepalm* I assume from your "62 locations visited" that you didn't do DH or Ogre Cave.

10-05-2016 09:36 AM
From what I read here (I have similar topic opened), isn't it possible that the achievement is somehow "half-unlocked" in ADOM already and therefore this new fix just won't work for those who "half-unlocked" it before?
Feels like a way to explain this. I did also finish a character with 62 places visited, did not get the achievement.

+ Reply