The 'l'ook command can reveal that doors have been opened/closed, items have been dropped/picked up, etc. outside of LOS.
issueid=931 04-11-2012 03:41 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
The 'l'ook command can reveal that doors have been opened/closed, items have been dropped/picked up, etc. outside of LOS.
'l'ooking at webs, items or doors outside of LOS can reveal their new status if a monster was wandering by.

Problem
The 'l'ook command detects webs (that have been created or no longer exist), "dedetects" items that are no longer on a tile, and shows the actual status of doors opened/closed outside LOS, if that part of the level has already been explored. This can leads to things like:

Code:
An open door.

#####################################         ###########
                     #.......+...............+...........#         #.........#
           #######   #.......#.###############...........#   #######.#...>...#
           #.....#   #.......#.#       #...../...........#   #.......#.......#
   #########.....#####.......#.#########.#####################.###########/###
   #....././...../@../......./.................................#         #.#
   #.....#########################.#.###########.#########################.#

A section of floor.

#####################################         ###########
                     #......./...............+...........#         #.........#
           #######   #.||||||#.###############...........#   #######.#...>...#
           #.....#   #.......#.#       #...../...........#   #.......#.......#
   #########.....#####.......#.#########.#####################.###########/###
   #....././...../@../......./.................................#         #.#
   #.....#########################.#.###########.#########################.#

An item is lying there.

###########
                     #......./..
           #######   #.|||||.#.#
           #.....#   #.......#
   #########@....#####.......#.#
   #...../.+...../.../......./..
   #.....#######################
How to reproduce it
Drop some items, and create some webs nearby with the wand or spell. Lock yourself in a room and wait until you hear ripping sounds. Now 'l'ook at the tiles where the webs are on and the game will say "A section of floor." even if there's a | on your cursor. The items you dropped have probably been picked up, and the same will happen then.

Notes
N/A
Issue Details
Issue Number 931
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows NT
Status Fixed
Priority 9
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 21
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

12-09-2012 06:14 AM
Ancient Member
If I may add some detail on the fix. I suggest having the text state what you last saw there, and this fact explained in a short sentence in the manual.
Not an exact list of item(s): An item was lying there. Several items were lying there.

12-09-2012 06:54 AM
It's rather hard for the game to tell you what you last saw there, since that would mean significantly more information being stored.

I'd like to see recalled contents treated differently from ones currently in sight. So, for instance, if you 'l'ook at a door that is outside of LOS, it should say "You recall a door here", rather than saying "A closed door". Similarly, "You recall seeing items here", "There was a web here", or "You remember a white altar here".

12-09-2012 07:01 AM
Ancient Member
Yes, that is what I meant. Maybe there instead of here?

12-09-2012 03:12 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
I'd like to see recalled contents treated differently from ones currently in sight. So, for instance, if you 'l'ook at a door that is outside of LOS, it should say "You recall a door here", rather than saying "A closed door". Similarly, "You recall seeing items here", "There was a web here", or "You remember a white altar here".
Sounds nice.

12-09-2012 03:24 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Aielyn
It's rather hard for the game to tell you what you last saw there, since that would mean significantly more information being stored.

Wow, I'd love this. Flavorful! Is it doable with the code and in reasonable time?

12-09-2012 03:52 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
Wow, I'd love this. Flavorful! Is it doable with the code and in reasonable time?
From this it seems like a hassle:

Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
The problem right now is that ADOM stores the physical information for a tile (the character and the color), but not its semantics. Thus - if altar alignment were to change for some reason while you can't see the altar - 'l'ook would provide information that would not match the on-screen display.
Replace 'altar alighnment' with 'the tile content', 'you' with 'the PC' and 'altar' with 'tile'.

11-13-2013 07:52 PM
Administrator
This should be much more easier now since we already store this kind of information for NotEye (i.e. areas outside of the LOS aren't updated). Some information is still missing though, like the altar alignment.

01-16-2014 05:37 PM
Administrator
Fixed.

+ Reply