Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: The Rules

Perhaps you're right, but isn't it a bit unfair to allow the player to delay his decision indefinitely? Letting him explore the level means he gets an opportunity to score loot and experience on half an additional ID level and still recreate it if he doesn't feel quite "comfortable" with the river. And it's not like we can really blame him, because crossing a river is rarely completely risk-free - with only the Swimming skill it's still pretty dangerous!

Of course, the current rule system effectively takes out rivers as an ID dungeon feature until the Chaos Gate is open, when being unfair to the other players is encouraged That's a shame in my eyes too, but it would avoid any kind of ambiguity or unfair advantage - the river level is simply taken out of the game with the loss of maybe a few turns.

I'll gladly repeat that your authority is absolute over rule matters. I'm just, y'know, saying :P
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Heh, I don't have any authority on this, just saying what I prefer. Like I said last year in regard to some rules discussion I'm not a big fan of extremely rigid rules. We have to rely on faith all round and in general I would expect people to behave within the spirit of the rules (scumming a river level they never intend to cross is obviously such a breach). Ultimately no rules are enforceable, and by making things too rigid it can leading to bickering and whatnot. Of course this is a rather minor part of the rules that is unlikely to be invoked much anyway, so whatever gets decided is bound to be fine.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

You're right - maybe I like restrictive rules so much because I'm German? :P

Nah, it's just that I like hard rules more than soft rules because there is less ambiguity, but if I can't enforce my hard rule anyway I might just as well not have it. I should have remembered sirlin's criteria for a ban: Discrete, enforcable, and warranted. This one's not enforcable and not really warranted
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

My memory of the last 'river rule' was that if one
    generates a river right next to them, they can
    regen the level, but exploring meant you were
    stuck with it. My memory is swiss cheese though : )
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

The river rule last year was loosely defined as "if you find an unpassable river you may quickly regenerate the level". It wasn't specified too concisely.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Another quick question and i think i'll have it down:

If i havent actually seen the > yet on my map, but have only one room left unexplored (ie, i know the >'s in there) am i allowed to spend 1800 turns of my 2000 just walking around the current level to level up before heading to the room where i know the > is.

Or even, if i took the save on a level above, went down and spent the rest of my turns since i've already satisfied the one level down requirement?

I do not believe the rules require you to descend immediately, even if you find the stairs. You must descend once per turn, but beyond that you may do whatever you want on the floor(s) that you find. That is how the kobold league thread is being played, at least.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I don't know what you mean about saving, but yes you can wait around on a level before descending even if you find the down staircase. I personally would try to go down a level as fast as possible and then explore that level until the turns run out.

Yup, you can spend your 2000 turns on whatever level as long as you want as long as you end up one level below from where you started and never use the up stairs except to avoid a river you can't cross.

About 2K turns. Putting exactly that might be a problem.
    In practice i do recall quite often turns were overplayed by reading booking/pressin w4 or just being careless...
    It would be nice to allow some minor overdone [20-50 turns]. And also define that next player does plays 2K turns? plays to next 2K mark [10K, 12K...]? IIRC, second variant was more often[probably for easy tracking].

Competive/non competitive play... That was always gray area for me... Let say someone claims he played char like in single mode and moved 10 levels down in his turnset... Or someone throws away some large rations as junk due to slowing char via burdened and claims he needed that to increase chances of survival, although char has not healing and takes ages to regenerate hp...
    Which of these should be okay on your supervision?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)