Page 18 of 106 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: minor things but undocumented

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    The archer heir gift is 40 winged X of hunting, where X is whatever type of missile the PC starts with. This can include, for example, rocks, throwing clubs or drakish scurgari, even though there is no other way to get those prefixes/suffixes on these types of throwing weapons as far as I know.
    The merchant heir gift seems to vary as well. I've seen both beautiful chain mails of carrying and the usual beautiful leather armors of carrying.

You're right: I just rolled a troll merchant with "Beautiful thick furs of carrying".
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I just had a kobold attack me with the following message:

Code:
    The kobold punches through your armor and fails to hurt you.
    How can that be? I only had 2 PV anyway. 1 from shield and 1 from Tough Skin. So I guess punching through armor doesn't ignore all PV, but just PV from armor. (I guess that makes sense when written down... but I'd always assumed it just ignored all PV >_<)

That actually makes a lot of sense, now that I think about it. I recently lost a mage with incredible PV thanks to underestimating the threat that the bug temple represents, but my current character, a GE Ranger who is currently on the Air Temple, has no problems with claw bugs, who deal non-existent damage if they hit her. It probably has to do with the 30ish Toughness + permanent blessing, but meh.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Perhaps it could also be because the kobold is using, say, an 1d4-1 damage weapon, and he rolled an one?

I watched the LoTR movies yesterday, and they got me thinking. Black hurthlings in Adom are modelled after Gollum, right? And what does Gollum eat?

So I went, caught some fish, and gave them to a black hurthling.

Code:
    The black hurthling snatches the uncursed piece of fish meat. The black
    hurthling now appears very friendly.
    Code:
    This is a black hurthling. He is your companion. He looks somewhat
    experienced. The black hurthling is not injured. [M]ore.

Anyone else realize that giving raw fish to hurthlings tames them?
    I haven't tested with cooked fish, as right now I don't have a second hurthling to test it on.
    The Adom wiki: everything you need to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/ADOM_Wiki

heh thats interesting but i can't imagine he'd have good enough stats to be bothered training too far. I guess he can shoot tiny quarrels at stuff for you, but i would think he'll run out of ammo just like Hawkslayer.(and of course refuse to take any new ammo)
    I haven't yet finished an ADOM game, but i haven't given up on trying yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascaron View Post
    I watched the LoTR movies yesterday, and they got me thinking. Black hurthlings in Adom are modelled after Gollum, right? And what does Gollum eat?

So I went, caught some fish, and gave them to a black hurthling.

Code:
    The black hurthling snatches the uncursed piece of fish meat. The black
    hurthling now appears very friendly.
    Code:
    This is a black hurthling. He is your companion. He looks somewhat
    experienced. The black hurthling is not injured. [M]ore.

Anyone else realize that giving raw fish to hurthlings tames them?
    I haven't tested with cooked fish, as right now I don't have a second hurthling to test it on.

Wow... that's really cool. I don't think anyone ever did that. And why you decided to attempt it was quite creative. Coongrats... lol. Too bad fish meat isn't common. Some companions...even weaklings like black hurthlings are useful in the very beginning with weak PC's.

I've heard it before actually, though not tried it myself (if I did I'd name the hurthling Deagol and murder it, hoping it gives me a precious ring, *gollum*). You can get fish meat easily if you have survival - stand on a wilderness water square and keep using the skill. The stuff rots quick though.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post

Disarm Traps is extremely reliable on door traps - I've never had it fail at 60 or above. This makes it very useful when combined with Detect Traps. For regular floor traps the skill is pretty poor - it's more likely to set off the trap on you than disarm it below skill level 80 (and still risky even then). If you stand to the side of a trap and try to disarm it then you may be moved onto the trap whilst it's set off. Not sure what happens if there's a monster on the trap and you try this...
    Don't remember the exact text of the message, but something to the effect of "There is a monster in the way." (Am I the only one who occasionally clears the gremlin cave, rather than just using it for pickpocket-scumming?) The Disarm Trap spell does work with a monster standing on the trap, though.

Another difference between the spell and the skill: The skill won't do anything to an uncovered pit. The spell will fill it in. (Doesn't matter if the pit is from a trap that was triggered, or one created by digging.)

Speaking of pits, don't know if this is documented anywhere, but you can fill in a pit with a huge rock. (Found this out accidentally. Was trying to smash through a trapped door with a thrown huge rock. It hit the door, bounced off, and landed in a pit right in front of the door. No more rock, no more pit.)