Add birth sign selector
issueid=3719 05-29-2015 01:27 AM
Number of reported issues by gr3ybird: 16
Add birth sign selector
I realize this is a controversial issue, but please hear me out.

EDIT 2: This is not a request for the birthsign selector to be added to the deluxe version. This is a request for it to be added to the next release, r58. Just to be clear. I'm going to add another post talking more about this below.

I was doing a forum search today for something totally unrelated to star signs, and saw that in the most searched for string on the forums is for a star sign selector. See for yourself (it's under advanced search)

Now, I know a lot of people are against this. But ADOM is a crowd funded game now, and I feel like at this point we should be realistic about what most people actually want. I don't know what kind of voting this rfe will get, but realistically, people already have 'voted' in favor of it: again, this is the most searched for topic on the forums.

I want to make it clear that when I bring up crowd funding I am definitely not saying tb is 'obligated' to add this feature, and I am really grateful for everything he has done (I can't say enough about how great this game is and how much I've gotten more than my money's worth). I just want to ask that he seriously consider giving people what they want here. There are game-play related arguments against it, I know, but do those arguments really matter if there is so much demand?

EDIT: and if you do downvote, please at least explain why you think we should ignore the demand for this feature.
Issue Details
Issue Number 3719
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category All
Status Duplicate
Priority 9
Suggested Version ADOM r58
Implemented Version (none)
Milestone (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 3
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

05-29-2015 03:01 AM
Ancient Member
It will be added... to the paid version.

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1197

I wish the selector we have right now worked with the latest versions. It was very useful.

05-29-2015 03:22 AM
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
It will be added... to the paid version...
I still think it's worth bringing up again. That linked topic was from 2012, and tb may have forgotten about it.

And I don't know what 'the paid version' means. I've bought into the prerelease program. I understand if tb is busy and can't add it until later, but I think this whole 'deluxe version' thing is sort of wonky.

05-31-2015 02:04 AM
I don't think this feature should be limited to deluxe. We don't know when it's getting here, or, from what I've read, even what it's really going to be. People aren't interested in this feature because it's a 'cheat' they're interested in it because of convenience. Saying 'just wait and it will be in deluxe' is like saying that we won't get it at all.

06-12-2015 12:41 AM
Ancient Member
I think it's a good idea, but only if the signs are rebalanced, too. Right now there is a clear 'tier list' of sign strengths with some being utter crap others excellent, except for a few that are good for particular classes and races. It would be nice if every single one had something unique to offer to any class and race combo.

06-12-2015 10:18 AM
Ancient Member
I never understood the idea behind random star sign, it's ridiculous.
Every other aspect of character creation is decision based, save for perhaps the exact distribution of attributes.
I think star sign selection should have been there from the onset, most people will reroll a char if they get something they don't like.
It would have made more sense if the starsigns other than candle and raven were relevant.
I know I'm rerolling, how is that different from just getting the selector implemented and picking your favorite?
Some people want to have everything randomized which is perfectly fine, but why do I have to let the rng decide what star sign I get?
Fuggit, shift+q and start over till I get what I want.

06-12-2015 11:28 PM
Quote Originally Posted by auricbond
I think it's a good idea, but only if the signs are rebalanced, too. Right now there is a clear 'tier list' of sign strengths with some being utter crap others excellent, except for a few that are good for particular classes and races. It would be nice if every single one had something unique to offer to any class and race combo.
Auric, I understand what you are saying, and, yes, in an ideal world that would be true. But again, saying that we should wait until the signs are balanced until we put in a selector is the same thing as saying it will probably never be in. The signs have been unbalanced for a LOOONG time, and for whatever reason fixing that is low priority to TB (I know there was a minor tweak a while back, but it didn't do enough).

I don't understand why minor fixes aren't done more often, actually. There are things we know are broken, like lousy birthsigns, but for some reason really trivial modifications like making bad signs give a few more points to whatever they do just aren't done.

06-12-2015 11:31 PM
Look, this is really frustrating. I made this RFE because I thought there was a lot of support for this idea, but am I misinterpreting the data from the search that I mentioned earlier? Where is everyone who was searching for the selector?

09-29-2015 04:22 PM
Administrator
Duplicate of issue 3166.

+ Reply