Star sign selection
issueid=1197 08-23-2012 05:25 PM
Ancient Member
Number of reported issues by anon123: 111
Star sign selection
The player should be able to choose the PC's star sign if desired.

Suggestion
The player should be given the choice of either selecting a particular star sign or leaving it to fate (which is currently the only choice) when creating a character.

Why it'd improve the game
If someone for example wants to have Candle's healing or Book's/Cup's assurance of getting more castings per read right away, without rerolling until the game chooses those signs, they should be able to. I know that playing a PC with a random star sign (and maybe crappy attributes) will require special strategical tactics and might prove more fun to play if successful, et cetera... but sometimes you want to have an extra early game advantage and as I see it, there isn't anything wrong with that. The fact there's a selector on the server and many people use it would prove this.

And those who would prefer a random sign can always have the game choose it by them, as currently possible with gender, race and class.

Notes
See above.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1197
Issue Type Feature
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Implemented
Priority 5 - Medium
Suggested Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 1
Implemented Version ADOM r64 (v2.0.3)
Milestone Potential work pipeline
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 2
Assigned Users adom-admin, Zeno
Tags (none)

08-23-2012 05:48 PM
If i am reading between the lines correctly, this is a planned feature of the Steam-powered ADOM Deluxe so it wouldn't probably be applied to ADOM classic unfortunately.

However, if i didn't understand Thomas correctly, this would be a useful feature as it would save time from rolling a character and quitting on turn 1 over and over again until you get your desired Star sign. You could probably even look at Jaakkos' auto-roller code to save time in implementing this feature.

12-10-2012 08:43 AM
The Creator
Yes, it's a planned feature for the Deluxe version.

09-29-2015 04:20 PM
Administrator
Duplicate of issue 3166.

09-30-2015 05:51 AM
I realize this feature is probably not a high priority now with all the work on steam, but I guess I'm trying to understand if this answer is still a yes for some time in the future since we (I think?) already have the deluxe version.

11-22-2015 04:28 PM
The Creator
I'm re-opening this issue in order to separate 3166 (the more complex point-based character generation) from this simpler feature.

12-08-2015 01:30 PM
voted +1 beacouse now we must create tons of dummy characters untill we get desirable sign. (it's time consuming but doable) We have now r64 Deluxe version and its still not implemented :/ reroll functionality from 3166 would be nice also... Sometimes RNG rolls so bad attributes like To < 7 and very low learning. That can badly cripple PC on start and It will be nice feature to correct those stats.

12-09-2015 06:49 AM
The Creator
The ASCII part now has been implemented. Zeno now is working on the graphical UI. It should be part of the final R64 soon to come.

12-09-2015 07:55 AM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
The ASCII part now has been implemented. Zeno now is working on the graphical UI. It should be part of the final R64 soon to come.
thats great !

Sorry for OT but what about starting stats auto - reroller ? (something like re-roller in ADOM sage mod but less scummy)

Sometimes it's possible to roll character with only 6 pts of TO and potential of 7 points or with terrible learning. (or both)

IMHO Player should have option to select his primary and secondary attribute from ST, LE, WI, DX, TO, MA (on default LE should be primary and TO secondary)

for example:

If player want to play strong meele character with lot of HP he could've choose primary TO and secondary ST.
After Player will accept his primary and secondary attributes game should re-roll them untill PC will have at least 20 ponts of Toughness and at least 15 points of Strength and roll untill TO is greater than ST

That will allow to create more desirable characters.

12-09-2015 08:14 AM
Ancient Member
I think the point-based system is designed to address this, to some degree or other.

12-09-2015 05:38 PM
I would like to request some extra possibilities in the implementation, controlled by configuration variables:

- Old behavior (random by default) OR ability to select or go random, i.e. Random_Starsign=true/false
- Ability to preselect a blacklist of specific star signs that will not be selected when choosing old behavior or manually going random, similar to the variables Class_Mask and Race_Mask.

12-09-2015 07:25 PM
Quote Originally Posted by emilus

Sorry for OT but what about starting stats auto - reroller ? (something like re-roller in ADOM sage mod but less scummy)

Sometimes it's possible to roll character with only 6 pts of TO and potential of 7 points or with terrible learning. (or both)

IMHO Player should have option to select his primary and secondary attribute from ST, LE, WI, DX, TO, MA (on default LE should be primary and TO secondary)

for example:

If player want to play strong melee character with lot of HP he could've choose primary TO and secondary ST.
After Player will accept his primary and secondary attributes game should re-roll them untill PC will have at least 20 ponts of Toughness and at least 15 points of Strength and roll until TO is greater than ST

That will allow to create more desirable characters.
There is an awesome question based character generation. It doesn't give you full control over attributes but gives something especially if would like to ensure couple of attributes are not 6. Of course it's a subject to improve (I found only one RFE: 2386, but I'll submit a couple about it too if I get time for it) but definitely not to replace by re-roller.

And one more no to this:

In any case if you're afraid of very low To and Le and refuse to play - pick better R/C combo.

Not that I'm against re-roll functionality at all. I just think game should have better alternatives than re-rolling.

12-09-2015 07:27 PM
Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin
the ascii part now has been implemented. Zeno now is working on the graphical ui. It should be part of the final r64 soon to come.
love this! Love you! Love adom! :)

12-15-2015 06:14 AM
The Creator
We now also have the graphical part working. And R65 (probably) will feature a completely revised and much simplified character generation process including point based attribute generation.

+ Reply