Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Posting for 'Death by RNG'?

Quote Originally Posted by BoloDigby View Post
    So, in Star Trek / Capt. Kirk / Kobayashi Maru parlance, there is no such thing as an 'unwinable' Adom scenario?
    I think they are at least very rare, if you do your preparation and think things out. Different story is that who have the patience and dedication to do so. You can see it in the form of different challenge games, eventually someone completes them... Maybe the next challenge should be that you need to present a scenario so difficult that it can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill View Post
    A char that I somehow cannot forget was a barbarian (around level 15) who was already crowned with vanquisher and absolutely overpowered all around. Back in those days I had never won the game, so I wanted to use every opportunity and made my char sick on purpose in order to train his toughness even higher. Well, this guy was walking around the bottom level of the dwarven graveyard when he suddenly fell into a pit trap and in the very same round got the last fever attack... 100 points of damage ment insta death. I was really disappointed because I thought I would never again get such a good chance to win the game.
    This was defenitely a STUPID death not death by RNG. All of the above (especially fever attack) could be predicted. You will never die the same way for the next time cause you knew it is possible to die like this. Hence -> experience is the key word here.

My definitely most memorable death was with level 50 "immortal" necromancer. I did not see that my strength of Atlas spell is waining... all my stuff crushed me to death... 5 times... Not so immortal after all...

Quote Originally Posted by kordi82 View Post
    Ok... maybe this is a fair approach. But truth be told... compared to the duration of the entire game let's say 20-30 hours... you can blame RNG for the first 20 minutes ;P.
    I normally go with the first ~2000 turns or so, you can blame the RNG.

Though, given that the game can be completed in 5000 turns (1.1.1 at least), that's not necessarily a fair characterization in all cases
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by kordi82 View Post
    This was defenitely a STUPID death not death by RNG. All of the above (especially fever attack) could be predicted. You will never die the same way for the next time cause you knew it is possible to die like this. Hence -> experience is the key word here.
    Indeed. The most important thing experience taught me is that there is no need at all to use every single opportunity. It's kind of like evolution... you do not need a perfect char, all you need is char who is good enough to survive ;-) This was my last character who intentionally walked around sick.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

You can train safely with sickness in 1.1.1. (In 1.2 I'm not sure sickness helps with training.)

Eat devil's rose
    Eat morgia
    Eat curia

The trick is that you only need to be sick while training, you don't need to walk around sick.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Luckily sickness training has been removed pre 7 I think, so you guys playing older versions can still use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Yes.
    Train and use detect traps skill on every step, several times... Don't have it? Go pickpocket mobs in wilderness until you can learn it from thieves guild. Not enough money? Hunt in wilderness or wait at stairs for mobs to attack you. Lawful? Convert by killing beggars etc...
    ---Ain't nobody got time for that. On top of that, staying in the wilderness consumes ridiculous amounts of time(why does eating one thing on the world map take an hour anyways??).
    P1: This game is so Retired!! How does a wooden ring protect you from becoming bacon??
    P2:
    Just drink Tobasco for the intrinsic you retire!!

The wilderness is nice and tranquil, birds singing, sun shining, plain blanket lain open on the soft grass.

In a dungeon the cave tiger might eat your piece of fresh meat and you if you don't eat it quickly and defend both at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Maybe the next challenge should be that you need to present a scenario so difficult that it can't be done.
    Some years ago, in the Weakest Link challenge, there was an ID level that no one was able to do (although some people came close). It's called the Trial of the Dark Orc Tribe. The savegame is in the forum for anyone who wants to try: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...Dark-Orc-Tribe

Of course, this doesn't mean that there are unwinnable ADOM games - the bad decisions that led to a (maybe) unwinnable state were taken before (that character shouldn't have descended that deep in the ID that soon).

Edit: I was wrong. At the end, it was won. I think at some point there was a trial that no one won, though. The Trial of Rust probably. http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...-Trial-of-Rust
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 08-27-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    Some years ago, in the Weakest Link challenge, there was an ID level that no one was able to do (although some people came close). It's called the Trial of the Dark Orc Tribe. The savegame is in the forum for anyone who wants to try: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...Dark-Orc-Tribe

Of course, this doesn't mean that there are unwinnable ADOM games - the bad decisions that led to a (maybe) unwinnable state were taken before (that character shouldn't have descended that deep in the ID that soon).

Edit: I was wrong. At the end, it was won. I think at some point there was a trial that no one won, though. The Trial of Rust probably. http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...-Trial-of-Rust
    That is a hard one. I tried the Trial of Rust, no luck. But as you said, it could have made a lot easier with proper precautions.