ADOM crashes on launch after crash during play
issueid=1275 10-12-2012 01:24 PM
Junior Member
Number of reported issues by Jesse Heinig: 1
ADOM crashes on launch after crash during play
ADOM crashes on launch after crash during play

I had an unfortunate crash and when I regained control of my system and attempted to start ADOM again, it would close instantly after flashing the initial opening screen.

I re-downloaded ADOM and overwrote the old executable, but the error persists.

I suspect that something has become corrupted in a save file or configuration file, but these apparently are hidden on my system. I do not have a
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\ADOM directory, even when doing a full search of my sole hard drive.
Issue Details
Issue Number 1275
Project ADOM (Ancient Domains Of Mystery)
Category Windows 7
Status Fixed
Priority Unknown
Affected Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 3
Fixed Version ADOM 1.2.0 pre 4
Milestone (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)




10-12-2012 02:14 PM
Ancient Member
Have you set Windows to show hidden files and folders? It might not show up if you don't do that.

Another way: if you open a command prompt window and type this command, it should force the .prc file to be deleted.

Code:
del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\ADOM\adom_dat\adom.prc"

10-12-2012 06:31 PM
Ancient Member
I think needs to be fixed, TBH. People shouldn't have to track down and delete a hidden file after a crash.

10-13-2012 09:14 AM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer
I think needs to be fixed, TBH. People shouldn't have to track down and delete a hidden file after a crash.
Yeah, that kind of thing was more or less normal in the era when we old-school gamers played on our good ol' MS-DOS's, but now we are in the era of casual gamers using windows 7. Most will have no idea of how to delete a hidden file.

10-13-2012 10:09 AM
jt jt is offline
Administrator
We're already working on this problem, the idea is to get completely rid of this file. It's only used to prevent running multiple ADOM instances at the same time, which is probably possible in the future.

10-15-2012 06:58 PM
jt jt is offline
Administrator
I'm happy to announce that the "adom.prc" file is now history... yeah! ;)

You can now run as many ADOM instances in parallel as you like (or your PC can handle).

10-15-2012 07:38 PM
Ancient Member
Quote Originally Posted by j.t
I'm happy to announce that the "adom.prc" file is now history... yeah! ;)

You can now run as many ADOM instances in parallel as you like (or your PC can handle).
How can they share the same settings directory (assuming that's the case)?

10-15-2012 08:34 PM
jt jt is offline
Administrator
Right now they all share the same "adom.data" directory, which basically means you can't run different versions at the same time.
This is another issue, see http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=1190

10-15-2012 10:14 PM
Ancient Member
What have you done?!

The fact you could only run ADOM once at the same time was the last saving grace that kept humanity going. Now all will succumb to ADOM addiction forever! It is the end of all things that aren't ADOM! Which sounds totally fine actually! Hooray!

10-16-2012 01:10 PM
Senior Member
Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
What have you done?!

The fact you could only run ADOM once at the same time was the last saving grace that kept humanity going. Now all will succumb to ADOM addiction forever! It is the end of all things that aren't ADOM! Which sounds totally fine actually! Hooray!
Ultimate Nihilist Bugfix.

10-16-2012 10:11 PM
jt jt is offline
Administrator
"You hear some evil laughter in the distance." :)

11-21-2012 04:46 PM
Junior Member
Quote Originally Posted by anon123
Have you set Windows to show hidden files and folders? It might not show up if you don't do that.

Another way: if you open a command prompt window and type this command, it should force the .prc file to be deleted.

Code:
del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\ADOM\adom_dat\adom.prc"
found on windows 7 that
Code:
del "\\%COMPUTERNAME%\User\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ADOM\adom_dat\adom.prc"
worked, never would of though about the location without your above code, thanks.

+ Reply